Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Silver discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 10:23 PM

Default Silver cannot be money and an industrial metal at the same time

I am a true silver stacker - I am awaken. I believe in the fundamentals of silver (more than the technicals. However I am confused about one thing. Guys like David Morgan always say that "silver is money" - OK - agreed. we also all know that silver has an enormous amount of industrial applications and is getting more and more scarce. But what I dont agree with is the notion of its rising up because of BOTH being money and industry use..... I believe BOTH cases cannot exist simultaneously.

My one burning question: With an economic or currency collapse, It is believed that silver will be used as money.

SO then how can people use silver as "money" if it is being CONSUMED by industry every day? does it make sense that people will adopt a form of money that is also being consumed daily? This counters the true definition of what money really is?

if this is the case - then should we believe that silver will skyrocket becasue it is money? or a valuable and scarce industrial commodity? but NOT both

can anyone explain this ? I am right?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcatbouncedollar View Post
I am a true silver stacker - I am awaken. I believe in the fundamentals of silver (more than the technicals. However I am confused about one thing. Guys like David Morgan always say that "silver is money" - OK - agreed. we also all know that silver has an enormous amount of industrial applications and is getting more and more scarce. But what I dont agree with is the notion of its rising up because of BOTH being money and industry use..... I believe BOTH cases cannot exist simultaneously.

My one burning question: With an economic or currency collapse, It is believed that silver will be used as money.

SO then how can people use silver as "money" if it is being CONSUMED by industry every day? does it make sense that people will adopt a form of money that is also being consumed daily? This counters the true definition of what money really is?

if this is the case - then should we believe that silver will skyrocket becasue it is money? or a valuable and scarce industrial commodity? but NOT both

I must say i totally disagree with you, most certainly Silver can be both.

This is one of the main reasons I love it, like flipping/milking houses so it's dual- facited, I can sell when I am done renos or I can milk rent or I can take a bank re-mortgage for alot more as long as it is 97% complete. I have serious options like Silver the energy metal, do you see a less technological future?

Perhaps you can compare Silver to oil? Members add in as you see fit. At least a book full of multi-purposed applications for both.

Silver is money, if you dropped me in a parachutte anywhere in the world with Silver I will subsist, I assure you of that. Even if I have to sell to refiners.

p.s. check out the 10 majors factors to monetary metals, such as it being found in different regions like Gold. You will see the light with more studies.

Last edited by Chadilac : 02-25-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:41 PM

It is the consumption of the commodity that makes sure the value will always be there. Instead of being a symbolic representation of value, silver money is in fact an actual valuable thing in immediate need. Actual wealth vs symbolic money.

By being something the world absolutely needs it commands respect as a currency.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighInBC View Post
It is the consumption of the commodity that makes sure the value will always be there. Instead of being a symbolic representation of value, silver money is in fact an actual valuable thing in immediate need. Actual wealth vs symbolic money.

By being something the world absolutely needs it commands respect as a currency.

It's been money for 5000 years why would it change now, because Nixon went off the Silver/Gold standard in 1971 after Jfk got asaisinated?
Old 02-25-2012, 11:03 PM

Ill have to disagree Silver can be both. Silver was both money and used commodity in the past. Paul Revere made spoons and other items out coinage.
Old plumbers used to use old silver coinage in a pinch to solder joints.
So in a nut shell why not again.
When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they are not the leaders of the government nor do they control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes… Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” – Napoleon Bonaparte, Emperor of France, 1815

$x1
Old 02-25-2012, 11:04 PM

I'am way more conservative than Gurus and I see $58 Silver in the next two years. Graphite gets little respect here, I bought an explorer Friday, they have upside for taking Silver on in applications purposes.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighInBC View Post
Very good point. My collection of "coin silver" spoons proves silver can be both money and industrial.

Lol. especially the silver spoon feed kidz of nowadays. No one talks about this but they want it all right now, such as young people wanting a mortgage 4/5x bigger than mine and I have 15 years of savings ahead of them. Yikes, banks love the loans/derivatives.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadilac View Post
I'am way more conservative than Gurus and I see $58 Silver in the next two years. Graphite gets little respect here, I bought an explorer Friday, they have upside for taking Silver on in applications purposes.
So with all the F'd up crap that brought us to $49 and some change silver in 2011 you think that it will take another 2 yrs. for it to pass that again? I just don't think that creating more imaginary money is going to buy them that much time. The more they print, the higher silver will go IMO, and I don't see them being able to do that much longer. Certainly not for another two years without PM's(silver) becoming alot higher than $58.... Like I said...Skulls...
Old 02-25-2012, 11:21 PM

I agree with the idea having both "angles" to play gives silver a huge advantage over the other metals. Gold is the defacto wealth store. Its got good jewelry usage too although the pricing is hurting that a bit. What else? Extremely limited industrial use. Not much else. Platinum and Palladium are even worse - they have ZERO monetary value. They have very important, yet narrowly focused industrial use.

Silver also happens to have been used heavily in pre '65 US coinage. Another feather in the cap...the coin hobby aspect!

It almost has three uses: Hobby, Industry, Monetary.

... Let us bring him Silver and Gold!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcatbouncedollar View Post

It appears you are arguing with the almighty is. Silver is both used as money and an industrial metal.