Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Silver discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBug View Post
It appears you are arguing with the almighty is. Silver is both used as money and an industrial metal.

I think he asked because he just wasn't sure; I am sure he is now.

5 minute post saves him 100's+ hours of studying, been there done that, but always learning.

Last edited by Chadilac : 02-25-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
I agree with the idea having both "angles" to play gives silver a huge advantage over the other metals. Gold is the defacto wealth store. Its got good jewelry usage too although the pricing is hurting that a bit. What else? Extremely limited industrial use. Not much else. Platinum and Palladium are even worse - they have ZERO monetary value. They have very important, yet narrowly focused industrial use.

Silver also happens to have been used heavily in pre '65 US coinage. Another feather in the cap...the coin hobby aspect!

It almost has three uses: Hobby, Industry, Monetary.
So are we assuming that somehow this global economic disaster is going to be averted and everyone will want to buy a new gold chain? If everything is as messed up AS IT IS, how the hell is that going to happen? Mfg. will slow to a backwards crawl and industrial use of silver will be next to nonexistant. Why wouldn't there just be a huge correction in the opposite direction for silver and all PM's at that point? Not saying that we won't be ahead of the game, but if the game is ever really over, then what does it matter at that point?
Old 02-25-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Platinum and Palladium are even worse - they have ZERO monetary value.
^^^ Please educate me on this. People buy these metals, no? These elements aren't available in overwhelming abundance, or extremely easily obtained from nature, are they? They also stamp these into convenient, little standardized discs, no? Or weighed, stamped ingots, perhaps? These metals aren't radioactive, corrosive, easily oxidized, etc., right? What is it that makes them have ZERO monetary value???
Old 02-25-2012, 11:42 PM

Road you must of forgot that Pt Eagles are 100$ US
Attached Images
File Type: jpg American_Platinum_Eagle_2007_Rev.jpg (60.7 KB, 1 views)
When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they are not the leaders of the government nor do they control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes… Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” – Napoleon Bonaparte, Emperor of France, 1815

$x1
Old 02-25-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholeflaffer View Post
^^^ Please educate me on this. People buy these metals, no? They also stamp these into convenient, little standardized discs, no? Or weighed, stamped ingots, perhaps? These metals aren't radioactive, corrosive, easily oxidized, etc., right? What is it that makes them have ZERO monetary value???

Let me get it started by saying these metals are not found in all countries. And they have limited applications and don't have a history of beng a monetary metal.

Old school miners in south America looked at the P-family as bad byproducts of mining, basically garbage as no catylic converters were required then, lol.

Add as you you seem fit, this is really an original question rarely touched on here.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholeflaffer View Post
^^^ Please educate me on this. People buy these metals, no? These elements aren't available in overwhelming abundance, or extremely easily obtained from nature, are they? They also stamp these into convenient, little standardized discs, no? Or weighed, stamped ingots, perhaps? These metals aren't radioactive, corrosive, easily oxidized, etc., right? What is it that makes them have ZERO monetary value???
OK - I suppose that they are purchased with money and are sold in coin form and stuff. That could be construed as money. However, Silver, and to a lesser extent gold have been used as ACTUAL legal tender and gold was used to back up our entire monetary system at one time. When people think of metals and money - Im gonna venture a guess that most people think of silver and gold. They never made Palladium dollars or Platinum Half dollars!

Im not saying those other metals arent valuable - their spot prices would indicate otherwise. However, IMO, those metals uses lean towards industry as opposed to silver and gold which are viewed as money by most people.

Think of it this way - if our currency was ever going to be backed by precious metals or legal-tender coins were to be produced using precious metals, theres little chance Platinum and/or Palladium would be used for this purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearspotAg View Post
So are we assuming that somehow this global economic disaster is going to be averted and everyone will want to buy a new gold chain? If everything is as messed up AS IT IS, how the hell is that going to happen? Mfg. will slow to a backwards crawl and industrial use of silver will be next to nonexistant. Why wouldn't there just be a huge correction in the opposite direction for silver and all PM's at that point? Not saying that we won't be ahead of the game, but if the game is ever really over, then what does it matter at that point?
If it all goes to hell then of course it likely doesnt matter. Even so.... Id rather have a pocket full of gold and silver versus two metals that are much more obscure to the public. On these forums we know and appreciate what PT and PD are but we dont reppresent the masses and thats who has to be convinced so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTongueDevil View Post
Road you must of forgot that Pt Eagles are 100$ US
True - but I can actually use a Silver dollar at the store for barter. Like a Peace dollar. You aint gettin anywhere with a Platinum coin or a Palladium coin.

... Let us bring him Silver and Gold!

Last edited by RoadLizard : 02-25-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadilac View Post
Let me get it started by saying these metals are not found in all countries. And they have limited applications and don't have a history of beng a monetary metal.

Old school miners in south America looked at the P-family as bad byproducts of mining, basically garbage as no catylic converters were required then, lol.

Add as you you seem fit, this is really an original question rarely touched on here.
Well, gold isn't found in all countries, at least not in appreciable amounts (does Saudi Arabia have gold deposits?). Gold has limited industrial applications, often in tiny amounts for plating or coatings, and even seashells have a history of being money (although, I'll grant you that seashells aren't metallic). Both gold and platinum are used in jewelry and art.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:56 PM

There could be a debate if this thread was about whether or not it should be both, because I can spend silver money in many countries to buy devices with industrial silver in them.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
OK - I suppose that ....

Think of it this way - if our currency was ever going to be backed by precious metals or legal-tender coins were to be produced using precious metals, theres little chance Platinum and/or Palladium would be used for this purpose.

Good post, imagine a world with Africa and Russia as holding the P-family as part of their money backer whether nationalized or not. Cool world with all Countries commodity based.

Another thing never talked about here is the P-Family relies on a small market share: cars, hood fans, and a little bit of Asian Jewellery constitutes the industry vs Silver. I am so ultra pro Silver, for so many reasons just ask me or check my first post here. Which metal doesn't belong; a wheres Waldo kidz game.

Last edited by Chadilac : 02-26-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
OK - I suppose that they are purchased with money and are sold in coin form and stuff. That could be construed as money. However, Silver, and to a lesser extent gold have been used as ACTUAL legal tender and gold was used to back up our entire monetary system at one time. When people think of metals and money - Im gonna venture a guess that most people think of silver and gold. They never made Palladium dollars or Platinum Half dollars!

Im not saying those other metals arent valuable - their spot prices would indicate otherwise. However, IMO, those metals uses lean towards industry as opposed to silver and gold which are viewed as money by most people.

If it all goes to hell then of course it likely doesnt matter. Even so.... Id rather have a pocket full of gold and silver versus two metals that are much more obscure to the public. On these forums we know and appreciate what PT and PD are but we dont reppresent the masses and thats who has to be convinced so to speak.

True - but I can actually use a Silver dollar at the store for barter. Like a Peace dollar. You aint gettin anywhere with a Platinum coin or a Palladium coin.
Absolutely. I am only suggesting that relying only PM's to save your arse isn't going to be enough. In a true SHTF situation you better have a few more ducks in your arsenal than just silver.