Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Silver discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 09:18 PM

Default Department store jewelry

I don't buy jewelry from Macy's, or Penny's. I have however been checking their counters. I first noticed a year or so ago that a good portion of the stuff that used to be gold was now silver. Either raw or gold plated. On a recent, and reluctant trip to the local mall I did more fact finding. The Macy's counter has now reduced the actual gold stuff to about 20% of total cases. The rest was silver. The sales girl said "they just can't sell much gold at these prices". And that "most people were OK with sterling as the price was much less"

As gold nears $2,000 and beyond I think more will be doing the sterling thing. Perhaps not for big items like engagement rings, and so on. But for the birthday, Christmas, anniversary bling it should do nicely. My wife likes sterling just fine, and raids my stack quite often. I have been buying junk sterling for some time now, and throw anything nice in a tray on the dresser. When she is done with it (some items never return ) she then puts it in the jewelry bin.

All this being said I believe this fact should put a little upward pressure on the POS. Kitco chart goes to 09, and shows that over 200 million Oz's went to silverware, and jewelry. Perhaps this trend will push that up a good bit higher.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:25 PM

I just want to add that at least from what I've noticed, people are becoming more and more welcome to the color of silver. Whether it be actual silver, platinum or white gold, few young ladies I know actually like the color of gold.

Annnnyyyways, it's interesting and it's an interesting note because the Sterling Silver items that just a year or two ago that you could just pick up off the rack and look at, are now locked up in those spinning displays at many stores.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:12 PM

Yellow Gold jewelry has been designated as grannies jewelry.
When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they are not the leaders of the government nor do they control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes… Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” – Napoleon Bonaparte, Emperor of France, 1815

$x1
Old 02-26-2012, 11:16 PM

A department store circular in today's paper advertised silver plated jewelry.

The decline of the empire becomes more evident with each passing day.

"Like liberty, gold never stays were it is undervalued."

Limit politicians to two terms. One in office and one in jail.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:18 PM

Talking

SilverTongueDevil Yellow Gold jewelry has been designated as grannies jewelry.

Lol. All my girlfriends jewelry I've bought is white gold. That's what she likes.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:26 PM

hahaha! My fiance's ring is white gold also. I think I am just going to get a plain silver band for mine. I could get a white gold or yellow gold band but why? I like silver and I'm simple! I don't need expensive stuff to be happy.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:36 AM

Smile

The stores around us are doing the same cutting back.

We own a sporting goods store and my wife dabbles in jewelry. We take in some silver and have been noticing a lot of the sterling items marked sterling or .925 are slightly attracted to a magnet and not counting the clasp.

The magnet I am using is one of those powerful earth magnet. These pieces the folks bring in are said to come from some major stores. Are the jewelry folks using any sort of metal in the making of silver jewelry?
Try it yourself if you have an Earth magnet.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easye View Post
SilverTongueDevil Yellow Gold jewelry has been designated as grannies jewelry.

Lol. All my girlfriends jewelry I've bought is white gold. That's what she likes.
Are you laughing because I used the word grannie

Its been a long time since I saw a young lady wear a yellow gold jewelry. The new fad is silver colored metals be they white gold, silver or Platinum.
When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they are not the leaders of the government nor do they control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes… Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” – Napoleon Bonaparte, Emperor of France, 1815

$x1

Last edited by SilverTongueDevil : 02-27-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfer View Post
The stores around us are doing the same cutting back.

We own a sporting goods store and my wife dabbles in jewelry. We take in some silver and have been noticing a lot of the sterling items marked sterling or .925 are slightly attracted to a magnet and not counting the clasp.

The magnet I am using is one of those powerful earth magnet. These pieces the folks bring in are said to come from some major stores. Are the jewelry folks using any sort of metal in the making of silver jewelry?
Try it yourself if you have an Earth magnet.
Id say 50% of the sterling jewelry I buy in my shop sticks at least somewhat to a neo magnet. The pieces you can barely lift off the table with a magnet are usually very close to 92.5%. That being said a lot of the stuff is no better than 75%. If it sticks, DO NOT PAY what it reads or you will be way off in the long run. I have assayed multiple pieces with varying degrees of magnetic draw so im not pulling this out of my backend.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:58 AM

I don't like the idea of white gold. For one thing it is not really white, it tends to be an ugly grey colour or pale yellow. They rhodium plate it to give it a nice white finish.

There are cheap alloys that are ugly and nicer alloys that don't even need plating. Not only do you not know what is under the surface, but every few years the plating wears off and what is underneath starts showing.

The jeweller will says "just bring it in to be replated", but the charm of a nice gold ring to me is that it will hold its colour and finish well beyond your lifetime. I have seen yellow gold rings that had been used regularly for over 70 years still show wonderful colour.

White gold needs to be maintained and even the jeweller often does not know what the alloy is.