Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Silver discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 01:34 AM

My 2 week old wedding ring is platinum. Missus has platinum band & engagement ring so figured mine should match . At this point though I honestly I think I prefer silver's luster to platinum but time will tell I guess.

And on the plus side platinum has gone from $1400 an oz to $1700 since I bought it (over the holidays) so that makes me a little happier.

White metal jewellery, especially silver & white gold has been the fashion in these parts for about the last 10-12 years from my experience.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:35 AM

Also in line with what HighInBC said, alot of white gold is alloyed with nickel which some people are allergic to and will break out in a rash. Also the rhodium plate they use to make white gold actually look white can wear off as soon as 1 year depending on the piece and your body's chemistry. I personally stick with either yellow gold(like it comes out of the ground) or platinum. Silver is nice too but im kinda lazy and dont want to have to remove my jewelry everytime i take a shower or have to clean it regularly which you need to do with silver unless you want that tarnish/patina thing.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:39 AM

White jewelry is still the fad but from a few jewellers ive talked to, they said yellow gold is slowly making a comeback except for the price of it atm. And for platinum, alot of em bought platihum back when it was high so they cant afford to sell platinum jewelry cheap. But yes alot ive talked to have started selling alot more silver jewelry the past couple years vs gold jewelry because of the price and the fact you can get a nice hefty piece of silver jewelry for relatively cheap still.

Last edited by PTstacker : 02-27-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:24 AM

I do hope people from my country (India) develop a fad for silver jewelry! Platinum jewelry is catching up but Indian do love gold. Giving silver jewelry to a girl-friend or wife would be considered an insult!!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:13 AM

Default im always happy to recieve gold jewellery!

Well as a female, I would like to let it be known that I am ALWAYS happy to recieve yellow gold jewellery!!

Over in the UK there is also a big trend for rose gold.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:36 AM

I know of only one girl who likes Yellow Gold everyone else would prefer Plat, White Gold or Silver over it. I think the only reason the Girl who likes Yellow Gold says she does as she's collected it since she was a kid and has a large collection. I made my Wife and one of my Sisters jewellery in White Gold and they love it. They like the colour and the fact its more expensive than Silver, a girl thing I guess?

Gold to me as jewellery has for to many connections to the '80's Yuppie Cheese. '80's Bankers with their Gold Rolex, '80's UK Gangsters and wannabe Gangsters with their big gold chains and Bracelets. '80's singers like Gloria Estefan and Whitney Houston etc.

I like my Gold in Coins and the older the better!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrmss View Post
I do hope people from my country (India) develop a fad for silver jewelry! Platinum jewelry is catching up but Indian do love gold. Giving silver jewelry to a girl-friend or wife would be considered an insult!!
that's because silver is too cheap at the moment.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:01 AM

Yeah STD I was laughing cause you said grannies jewelry. I do think silver and white gold is more popular with the younger people.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTongueDevil View Post
Are you laughing because I used the word grannie

Its been a long time since I saw a young lady wear a yellow gold jewelry. The new fad is silver colored metals be they white gold, silver or Platinum.
I'm a 26 year old woman and I'm getting so sick of seeing white gold everywhere! I've been drawn to more and more yellow gold that I wouldn't have even considered 5 years. My hip rock star friend just got engaged and it's a beautiful yellow gold ring, and when I get engaged I hope it's yellow gold too. I expect to see the white gold trend wane
Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger_andy View Post
I know of only one girl who likes Yellow Gold everyone else would prefer Plat, White Gold or Silver over it. I think the only reason the Girl who likes Yellow Gold says she does as she's collected it since she was a kid and has a large collection. I made my Wife and one of my Sisters jewellery in White Gold and they love it. They like the colour and the fact its more expensive than Silver, a girl thing I guess?

Gold to me as jewellery has for to many connections to the '80's Yuppie Cheese. '80's Bankers with their Gold Rolex, '80's UK Gangsters and wannabe Gangsters with their big gold chains and Bracelets. '80's singers like Gloria Estefan and Whitney Houston etc.

I like my Gold in Coins and the older the better!

I wish I had a big collection of yellow gold since my childhood! Yellow gold was out of fashion here in the UK for quite a while, but trust me, its back with a bang!