Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Gold discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 09:21 PM

Default Inexpensive coin pendant/holder?

Alright, so I'm currently looking to trade some of my silver for a 1/4 krugerrand.

What I would like to be able to do is possible put it in a necklace (using one of the screw-holder pendant things) so that I can put it under my shirt and have a 1/10th or 1/4th krug on me wherever I go. I know some of you keep them in your wallet, I just feel even if I lost my wallet perhaps I would still have the hidden necklace.

I was wondering if anyone knows a place to get cheap ones of these. I was hopping to get a gold chain and pendant but it seems the markup is fairly cheap.

What do you guys recommend (and if your recommendation is to not do this at all, feel free to chime in)
Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 PM

What your looking for is called a "Bezel". My lcs carries them. Not sure where the best place to buy them is... maybe the bay?

Just thought it might be helpful to know what its called.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:40 PM

Default best bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan8802 View Post
What your looking for is called a "Bezel". My lcs carries them. Not sure where the best place to buy them is... maybe the bay?

Just thought it might be helpful to know what its called.
ebay has the widest selection of bezels. to OP thats just what i did a while back. have a necklace and bezel with a sov in it that i wear all the time. i like to have gold around at all times. plus sometimes the chicks want to check it out.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:26 PM

I think the law states that you can only wear said gold necklace and coin if your have a thick hairy chest, are of Italian heritage and named Vinny.

Really though, if you are going to spend the money on something like this I would have a jeweler custom make something for me. You design they fab. One of a kind.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrap View Post
I think the law states that you can only wear said gold necklace and coin if your have a thick hairy chest, are of Italian heritage and named Vinny.

Really though, if you are going to spend the money on something like this I would have a jeweler custom make something for me. You design they fab. One of a kind.
Nah, that law was repealed after Chris discovered America! Lots of sailors have neck jewelery. I chose to do the custom route over 20 yrs ago. No regrets and it has not left my neck for more than maybe 48 hrs total in that time. Make the chain short enough that it can not slip off over your head and get a quality clasp.

(The 'forest' has thinned and looks more like a winter wonderland scene ! )

Enjoy.

Last edited by El_Triunfo_Julia : 03-14-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:05 AM

I wonder if I put one ounce gold coins on my neck and claimed they're jewelry could I get past customs? Maybe 5 for me, 5 for my wife, and one each for my kids?
Old 03-15-2012, 06:40 AM

While surfing the web I found a site that had '18k Yellow Gold Hand Made Chain 14.1mm Wide And 30 Inches' that weighs 603 grams! Thats 14.5 troy ounces of pure gold and if it's alloyed with silver that's another 4.8 oz of Ag. Add a few full bezels... and head for the border...

The necklace is 38,700 USD which amounts to almost 2700 USD per ounce or a 62 percent premium for the gold chain not factoring the silver.

To the OP, search 'gold coin bezel'

Last edited by Autalkin2me : 03-15-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:03 AM

Yeah I knew it was a bezel, I just forgot the name when I went to make the topic

Anyways, I don't think I'll go the custom route, because I'm trying to be as cost effective as possible. Maybe I won't even go with a gold chain/bezel....maybe sterling or even something cheaper...
Old 03-15-2012, 07:38 AM

Go the custom route. A good gold smith can make a good one. Some of the cheaper ones are so cheap that the bezel brakes or the screw strips out.

If you do get a cheap one, ware boots, keep your shirt tucked in and keep your pant legs tucked in your boots.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:25 AM

Wink Flintski...........

Been great to deal with!A.