Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Base metals, commodities and related stocks group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Default Purchased a 1kg Copper Bullion BAR!

Purchased one a while back, I ignored the extreme premiums (Copper spot per pound was at approximately $3.50 and i got ~2.2 pounds for $25) because it is assayed (999 fine), and if copper does become the new poor mans precious metal in the event of a silver spike, it will be better to have an assayed bar. Im considering buying this polished 5kg bar for about $120.

this is the bar i bought

this is the 5kg bar im considering buying

What do you guys think, and how do you STACK copper? is it 999 Fine?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:47 PM

Default Poor man's gold.

I don't think that copper will be something adequate for to barter. In my opinion, Silver is better for the crisis. What should the baker do with copper? Silver is recognized in a crisis. Copper not. (as far as I know)
And something that should make you think a bit: In a SHTF scenario, the copper-price would go down, just as in 08. Copper is only high in good financial times, times of prosperity.
Despite this fact, having the one or other kilo is a good idea. Think of a copper shortage in the (far) future. The price will definitely go up with the years...
Old 10-28-2010, 03:08 PM

SilverBullionaire,
Are you experienced with base metals?
Do you think any other base metals will have better outcomes?
Ni,Al,Pb, etc...
Which BM do you feel is the best to potentially invest in?
Old 10-28-2010, 03:14 PM

I've also got a kg bar of copper and one of aluminum. They're just novelty items as far as I'm concerned. Next to the kg of silver, they are good to show the relative density of metal. I would like to add a kg of nickel, tin, and zinc but have never found those in nice kg "investment" grade bars.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:16 PM

Default Copper

I like Copper in Bullion pure .999 form (not Wheat and Lincoln cents)!!!
Because,

1. It's CHEAP compared to the precious metals
2. Great Eye Appeal in uncirculated Bullion Form
3. There are some very nice design strikes in 1oz AV form and of course the Bullion Bars 1/2 lb, 1lb, Kilo and so on.
4. It has been a medium of exhange for around 10,000 years compared to Silver and Gold of 5,000 years.
5. The United States was on a TRIMETALLIC System of Honest Money in the early days with Copper and Silver Coins being the daily workhorse for smaller transactions and Gold Coins for larger purchases. ALL 3 of these metals guard great against the evils of Fiat Paper.
6. As Silver and Gold get more expensive I think people will choose the next best alternative to worthless paper and that is COPPER the RED METAL.
7. And lucky reason # 7, it is trading near a 27 month high and as 3rd world middle classes grow worldwide, what do those people want and need?? Electrictiy, Housing, Running Water,etc. It will put a strain on this industrial base metal.

GOT COPPER BULLION ?? I DO and I plan on BUYING more at these price levels for another investment to compliment my Silver and Gold holdings. No CD's, Money Markets, Passbook Savings Accounts, or Warehouse Receipts for me, if I can't hold it I may not own it.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:00 PM

where do you buy copper bullion???
Old 10-28-2010, 07:20 PM

Copper is nice, its like gold very ease to destinguise from other metals. Silver, Platinum and the other 'grey' metals all look like one another. Gold is yellow, copper is orange.

Next to that, these bars look nice, and are big. And have a nice '' half pm '' copper. Copper is a half PM. As far as I am aware.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:32 PM

Better off buying copper piping from the supply house. That 2.2b isnt worth more than 6.25 at current fergie prices for #1 copper. I keep all of my left over copper in trash cans and cash it in every couple of years when prices at the scrap yard seem to be at a good deal. Rigid Type L copper or ACR used for refrigeration comes sealed and pressurized with nitrogen. It's 99.9% cu. The impurity tolerance is extremely small. If you really want to have it as an investment. just stack some ACR tubing. It's an item people can actually use.

Last edited by Pitcom : 10-28-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:34 PM

Copper is not "bullion". Its a scrap metal. Like iron.
In "SHTF", I want my copper in the form of wire, a pot, or maybe a spearhead if iron is not available.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:06 PM

Default Buy copper at 20% under spot

Buy US nickels at face value. Each $2 roll has $1.25 worth of copper and $1.15 worth of nickel, for a total value of $2.40. There is no downside risk, because they will always be worth $2 as money. It's the best deal going.
"This [Federal Reserve Act] establishes the most gigantic trust on earth. When the President [Wilson] signs this bill, the invisible government of the monetary power will be legalized.... the worst legislative crime of the ages is perpetrated by this banking and currency bill."
-- Charles A. Lindbergh, Sr. , 1913

"Markets can remain irrational a lot longer than you and I can remain solvent." - John Maynard Keynes