Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > The Economy, Banking, Markets and Global Stocks discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 05:05 PM

Default Out of the Euro... but in to what.

I live in Spain. As we all know things are getting pretty bad here at the moment. Greece looks like it is going to implode fairly soon. The people are getting their euros OUT of the banks (almost a Billion euros since 6th May).

Apart from precious metals/food etc etc what would you recommend I do with the few euros that I have tied up in a Spanish bank should I wish to remove it.

Is there anything I could do you offset a collapse of the euro and preserve what I have? Excahnge it for a different currency?

Any answers would be gratefully received.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHawkinsVoiceBox View Post
I live in Spain. As we all know things are getting pretty bad here at the moment. Greece looks like it is going to implode fairly soon. The people are getting their euros OUT of the banks (almost a Billion euros since 6th May).

Apart from precious metals/food etc etc what would you recommend I do with the few euros that I have tied up in a Spanish bank should I wish to remove it.

Is there anything I could do you offset a collapse of the euro and preserve what I have? Excahnge it for a different currency?

I would at least get it as cash, out of the bank, minimum. If you already have PMs and some food stocked up, file the cash away in a safe place.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:59 PM

If I was you I wouldn't be worried about the collapse of the Euro, I'd rather be worried about the collapse of the Spanish economy. If anything i'd move your Euros from the Spanish bank to a German bank or even better in Luxembourg.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:04 PM

Buy a gun.

It's probably illegal.

All the more reason to buy one.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:21 PM

Protection for sure....and ammo.

H2O purfication system, food supply, and some gin. Those would be MY priorities since you are already down with the AU and AG stacking.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:28 PM

I know this will be an unpopular response, but.

You should party like it's 1929, while your money still has some value.

J/K

Like you said hold some cash, metals, food, and other "stuff" you need to live. I would put imported items on the top of the list, as wage and price controls are likely soon. Border closeings and tradewars, ect.
"which states that when government compulsorily overvalues one money and undervalues another, the undervalued money will leave the country or disappear into hoards, while the overvalued money will flood into circulation."
Old 05-16-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
I would at least get it as cash, out of the bank, minimum. If you already have PMs and some food stocked up, file the cash away in a safe place.
+1
Not now, but right now. Hold tight to all you have...JMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Dog View Post
Buy a gun.

It's probably illegal.

All the more reason to buy one.
Respect what is "Ceasars"...are you "Ceasars"?...
No matter; take care of yourself and those around you!

GL!

Barack Hussein Obama
State of The Union Speech 2014
Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny_k View Post
If I was you I wouldn't be worried about the collapse of the Euro, I'd rather be worried about the collapse of the Spanish economy. If anything i'd move your Euros from the Spanish bank to a German bank or even better in Luxembourg.
I think that is good advice. IF (or when) the Euro fails and countries reconstitute their national currencies, I wonder what the DMark, or Swiss Frank will trade against the dollar.

In about 1930, an Austrian bank failed due to a "run" and soon there after, a German bank followed. Fearing the same could or would happen in the UK and the US, capital flows began to act irrationally.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:48 PM

withdraw it in dollars or go down and exchange it for dollars.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHawkinsVoiceBox View Post

A other option would be to assume as corrupt and uncompromising all the European leaders are (only some are corrupt I should say) the Euro will not fall apart nor will Greece exit. . . therefore the prudent thing to do would be to leave your Euros in a convenient place. . . like a BANK.