Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Gold discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 06:46 AM

Default Gold, Plunder, and the sad sad sad tale of all imploding Empire

I have seen this posted here before, but Rome is in a different phase now:

'American Empire VS Roman Empire : monetary history repeats itself'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThgsKuv4Ej0

Rome, is a model - a model that grew from the anomalies of Greece - it brought 'order'.

The theme was simple - a small group grew prosperous from the Gold plunder taken from the expedition Empire Military as, reparation costs in bringing civil-isation to the un-civil-ised barbarian - but it had a terminal flaw:

'What happens to the utterly huge and costly Empire Military when it runs out of Barbarians'?

In Roman times as that discussed above, 'Rome' then had to eat itself of plunder in order to pay off the Military North of the Rubicon.

This of course is the 'Military Indistrial Complex' warning that Eisenhower is now famous for mentioning - The Empire, is the one sent far over the Rubicon Sea to Osamaland.

Plunder is the life-blood of all empire, but are we all in that terminal phase now? Because if so, then it can be a long drawn out war to get at the Gold back in Rome - it took the 1st Roman Empire over a Century to wind down and it went through several phases from Emperor into Republic then back to Emperor before it finally disolved into a disheartened human exodus ......... for a while....

Do you think that you can hold onto your Gold for that long:

Gold, Plunder, and the sad sad sad tale of all imploding Empire

Last edited by Ratzfinger : 06-02-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:15 AM

Interesting piece.Soldiers and servants of the state (government)supported by taxes from the people....and the collectors of those taxes,the Decurian class, were forced to collect those taxes,and if those amounts fell short,pay them out of their own pockets.When the Decurians tried to flee,they were arrested and forced back to work. Eventually the Roman state became the enemy,and the conquering barbarians became the saviors.

Hmm..I believe I need to buy some more PMs next week...
Old 06-02-2013, 07:23 AM

Default Potus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzfinger View Post
I have seen this posted here before, but Rome is in a different phase now:

'American Empire VS Roman Empire : monetary history repeats itself'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThgsKuv4Ej0

Rome, is a model - a model that grew from the anomalies of Greece - it brought 'order'.

The theme was simple - a small group grew prosperous from the Gold plunder taken from the expedition Empire Military as, reparation costs in bringing civil-isation to the un-civil-ised barbarian - but it had a terminal flaw:

'What happens to the utterly huge and costly Empire Military when it runs out of Barbarians'?

In Roman times as that discussed above, 'Rome' then had to eat itself of plunder in order to pay off the Military North of the Rubicon.

This of course is the 'Military Indistrial Complex' warning that Eisenhower is now famous for mentioning - The Empire, is the one sent far over the Rubicon Sea to Osamaland.

Plunder is the life-blood of all empire, but are we all in that terminal phase now? Because if so, then it can be a long drawn out war to get at the Gold back in Rome - it took the 1st Roman Empire over a Century to wind down and it went through several phases from Emperor into Republic then back to Emperor before it finally disolved into a disheartened human exodus ......... for a while....

Its hard to get wrap on the whole problem but if you add in the POTUS happy as a clam transferring Americas wealth to the rest of the world to fit his world view and assist in the fundamental transformation of the USA, as was his promise, you start to realize the intent to broke the nation. The USA has to be financially broken in order to complete the fundamental transformation. People who have wealth will disagree. They have to be broke. Get it?
the POG getting beaten down enables the continuing transfer of Americas wealth. The Eastern bloc is buying with both hands. the asians are already buying property over here. the bad news is endless and fat & lazy Americans voted for the government we have....

Last edited by napari : 06-02-2013 at 07:27 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 06-02-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
Interesting piece.Soldiers and servants of the state (government)supported by taxes from the people....and the collectors of those taxes,the Decurian class, were forced to collect those taxes,and if those amounts fell short,pay them out of their own pockets.When the Decurians tried to flee,they were arrested and forced back to work. Eventually the Roman state became the enemy,and the conquering barbarians became the saviors.

Hmm..I believe I need to buy some more PMs next week...

Sometimes I can see why it is that you Americans are often misunderestimated.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:58 AM

Default Declining Empire.

Quote:

Thank you for using Mises.

The American Empire has been in decline for over the past 40 Years.

We have our merchant class act as Tax Collectors. We have our Property Owners act as Tax Collectors. And our Liberties, as the Romans, have been strictly eroded.

I understand that Rome survived until the Liberating Barbarians invaded Rome.

We are currently at the point of where we can no longer afford to pay for Foreign Wars. We are currently insolvent to where we can no longer support troops.

When the USA engaged the Soviet Union in the 1980s by conspiring with the Saudis to depress Oil to $10/bbl; and; with the Soviet Army bogged down in Afghanistan; and; with the Soviet Union increasing Defense Spending to 40%of their GDP it was consequential that they would have experienced a catastrophic collapse and fall within 10 years. However few predicted that fall because few knew all of the actions happening.

The USA has been living on borrowed time since 1971.

Furthermore we are spending 30% of our budget on Defense (now since that Budget is over 100% GDP it means that we are spending over 30% GDP) and since we are bogged down in Foreign Wars and since we are also experiencing an Oil Shock (outflow rather than lack of income) it will be consequential that we will also collapse.

There is no difference.

Unfortunately I think that we are there or very close. We will not have to wait 100 years, 50 Years, 10 Years, or 5 Years. In fact I foresee it by Labor Day when we run out of Contingency Money.

I really want to write a different story. But I cannot. I just don't see it any other way.

Tall Tom
I Cor 13
Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall tom View Post
Thank you for using Mises.

The American Empire has been in decline for over the past 40 Years.

We have our merchant class act as Tax Collectors. We have our Property Owners act as Tax Collectors. And our Liberties, as the Romans, have been strictly eroded.

I understand that Rome survived until the Liberating Barbarians invaded Rome.

We are currently at the point of where we can no longer afford to pay for Foreign Wars. We are currently insolvent to where we can no longer support troops.

When the USA engaged the Soviet Union in the 1980s by conspiring with the Saudis to depress Oil to $10/bbl; and; with the Soviet Army bogged down in Afghanistan; and; with the Soviet Union increasing Defense Spending to 40%of their GDP it was consequential that they would have experienced a catastrophic collapse and fall within 10 years. However few predicted that fall because few knew all of the actions happening.

The USA has been living on borrowed time since 1971.

Furthermore we are spending 30% of our budget on Defense (now since that Budget is over 100% GDP it means that we are spending over 30% GDP) and since we are bogged down in Foreign Wars and since we are also experiencing an Oil Shock (outflow rather than lack of income) it will be consequential that we will also collapse.

There is no difference.

Unfortunately I think that we are there or very close. We will not have to wait 100 years, 50 Years, 10 Years, or 5 Years. In fact I foresee it by Labor Day when we run out of Contingency Money.

I really want to write a different story. But I cannot. I just don't see it any other way.

Tall Tom
I Cor 13

Hmmmm..... Perhaps in the interest of friendly open-ness, I can come clean here:

I am British. I like my Empire.

Like Rome before it, the Empire failed from within because the people that the plunder was brought home to, went a bit Bread and Circussie - eventually, order had to be restored to the idiots in the form of a Caesarian reality check - the Republic had to be suspended for a while by a dictator until such times as the Republic was safe to restore - it was not a pleasant process.

We have been Rome now, for 500 years - sometimes a republic, and sometimes a dictatorship. We have also had several Civil Wars which have torn the heart out of the system.

But one fact remained throughout all these times:

The Legions, never failed to bring home the plunder.

I hope that clears things up aways?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:28 AM

I always heard that the Legions deserted when their pay was cut to subsistence level.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgadget View Post
I always heard that the Legions deserted when their pay was cut to subsistence level.
At heart, we are all just jolie-jack-tar...... Pie-Rats.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 AM

Default Cool...

Quote:
Hmmmm..... Perhaps in the interest of friendly open-ness, I can come clean here:

I am British. I like my Empire.

Like Rome before it, the Empire failed from within because the people that the plunder was brought home to, went a bit Bread and Circussie - eventually, order had to be restored to the idiots in the form of a Caesarian reality check - the Republic had to be suspended for a while by a dictator until such times as the Republic was safe to restore - it was not a pleasant process.

We have been Rome now, for 500 years - sometimes a republic, and sometimes a dictatorship. We have also had several Civil Wars which have torn the heart out of the system.

But one fact remained throughout all these times:

The Legions, never failed to bring home the plunder.

I hope that clears things up aways?
So you are British? Cool!!! I always like to expand my horizons. I am a bit Cosmopolitan. Actually I thought you were German.

But what I think that you have is a Normalcy Bias since you think that it has not changed in the past 500 years and conclude, therefore, it will not.

Unfortunately I believe that the power is shifting toward the West...West of Occidental...to the Asian Continent.

The British Empire reached her Zenith during the rule of Queen Victoria. Then she (the UK) declined and the next in line was the "Colonies" the USA. During the 20th Century the USA rose and we reached our zenith probably sometime in the 1950s. Then we got into our Bread and Circus phase and began to decline.

However I think that the 21st Century will belong to China.

Understand that I am not out to attack what you love. I happen to enjoy the rich history of your Nation. WE originated from that Empire. I have been fascinated by the UK. I have actually watched debate in the House of Lords on the BBC at times. It is an experience.

And I enjoy British humor. I understand a few things. I learned from Benny Hill...Keeping Up Appearances is a great show. Furthermore the musical artists as Pink Floyd, Yes, and the Moody Blues have taught me a lot about life.

But what I foresee for the economies of both your Nation and mine just does not give me much comfort and a lot of despair. I am subscribed to Graham Summers, Phoenix Capital free Newsletter. I am subscribed to Money Morning's free Newsletter. Those are British Publications.

I research their claims. They are accurate.

Forgive me if I ever insulted you or if you take what I write personally. Please do not take it that way.

I am just reporting what I believe to be the truth.

Tall Tom
I Cor 13
Old 06-03-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall tom View Post
So you are British? Cool!!! I always like to expand my horizons. I am a bit Cosmopolitan. Actually I thought you were German.

But what I think that you have is a Normalcy Bias since you think that it has not changed in the past 500 years and conclude, therefore, it will not.

Unfortunately I believe that the power is shifting toward the West...West of Occidental...to the Asian Continent.

The British Empire reached her Zenith during the rule of Queen Victoria. Then she (the UK) declined and the next in line was the "Colonies" the USA. During the 20th Century the USA rose and we reached our zenith probably sometime in the 1950s. Then we got into our Bread and Circus phase and began to decline.

However I think that the 21st Century will belong to China.

Understand that I am not out to attack what you love. I happen to enjoy the rich history of your Nation. WE originated from that Empire. I have been fascinated by the UK. I have actually watched debate in the House of Lords on the BBC at times. It is an experience.

And I enjoy British humor. I understand a few things. I learned from Benny Hill...Keeping Up Appearances is a great show. Furthermore the musical artists as Pink Floyd, Yes, and the Moody Blues have taught me a lot about life.

But what I foresee for the economies of both your Nation and mine just does not give me much comfort and a lot of despair. I am subscribed to Graham Summers, Phoenix Capital free Newsletter. I am subscribed to Money Morning's free Newsletter. Those are British Publications.

I research their claims. They are accurate.

Forgive me if I ever insulted you or if you take what I write personally. Please do not take it that way.

I am just reporting what I believe to be the truth.

Tall Tom
I Cor 13

Actually..... Not only am I British, but I'm Scottish to boot - that puts me in the Brahmin caste in the Empire hierarchy.

The Chines have nothing to offer and the troublesome Russian hoards have always been a pain in the back-side - neither can come close to offering a competing commercial system and even if they did, they have nothing by way of an established track record in honour to back it up.

The Banksters aren't going any where.

Like a lot of other folk, I just couldn't square with their ludicrous notions of a one world order - Globalisation is the dreams of the fairies.

But now that all that nonsense seems to be unwinding on Nero, it may well be time for the core to come together again.

All this nonsense we are suffering came from the USA you know?

My own thoughts are, that when all the dust has settled, we shall all be much the stronger for it. We just have to re-learn 'who, we, are':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZFr4VLPW9Q

Globalisation.....sheeeshh!.... The lion cannot ever lie down with the dragon.

Rome wasn't built in a day and is sure wont be destroyed in a decade.