Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Silver discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIowa View Post
Has anyone had any luck buying rolls of circulated coins from the bank and finding pre-64 coins inside? I just went through 16 rolls of quarters today and didn't find a single one. I found a bunch of 1965 quarters but nothing earlier. I realize that I am not the first to think of this idea, but you would think that I would find one. I may try the grocery stores tommorow, i vowed to go through 100 rolls before I give this up.

I did manage to put together all 50 state coins and 4 of the 6 territories. Small victory
Went through 70 rolls of quarters a few weeks back-didn't find a thing!

Found two 90% dimes this week though.

Question everything.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:54 AM

Default Get Eisenhower Dollars instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIowa View Post
Has anyone had any luck buying rolls of circulated coins from the bank and finding pre-64 coins inside? I just went through 16 rolls of quarters today and didn't find a single one. I found a bunch of 1965 quarters but nothing earlier. I realize that I am not the first to think of this idea, but you would think that I would find one. I may try the grocery stores tommorow, i vowed to go through 100 rolls before I give this up.

I did manage to put together all 50 state coins and 4 of the 6 territories. Small victory
I would go after Eisenhower Dollars, they bring a small premium but worth it. They are hit and miss, but you can get em. I saw a guy on fleecebay, claiming the infamous estate story. He had a nice pile(pic of a couple-few thousand) the ad said 100 unsearched Ike Dollars, then wen't on to say their probably weren't any silver ones. It was up to $150 with time left! Someone suggested going to banks near the ghetto or low income areas, dunno. I think those half searchin days are over,10-20 years ago would be a different story.

Last edited by Jamesbong : 03-28-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:08 AM

I've got a deal with one of the girls at our local bank. She digs through the change coming in for pre-64 silver coins, and I pay her 10X face value for them. I usually get 4-5 coins per week from her. She just called me today and found some 1964 Kennedy Halves.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnoob View Post
I've got a deal with one of the girls at our local bank. She digs through the change coming in for pre-64 silver coins, and I pay her 10X face value for them. I usually get 4-5 coins per week from her. She just called me today and found some 1964 Kennedy Halves.
There are banks that would fire a teller for doing that.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:11 PM

There are coin collecting forums where guys post results from roll hunting. For half dollar roll searching, they range from skunked to $100.00 of silver per $2000.00 of halves (very rare occurrence). The oldest I've heard of pulled from the searching was a turn-of-the century Barber. Mostly 40% Kennedy's, but still a number of 90% JFKs, Walkers and Franklins.

Quarters are generally a losing proposition. The dime hunters I know are happy with 1-2 per box. Nickel boxes yield an average of 1 war (silver) nickel every 1.5 boxes.

There are still deals to be had. Check the classified sites religiously. I just missed a deal for 10 Peace dollars XF-AU for $11.75 each. At the same time, I nailed about 50 dimes (one Barber, 5 Mercs and the rest Roosevelts) for $.75 each.