Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Gold discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2010, 04:24 AM

Wink Lunar Gold 1oz Tiger Mintage Limit Reached

Unofficial news from my source (that is an official dealer for Perth Mint products), is that Australian government’s mint Perth Mint has reached mintage limit of 30,000 pieces of 1 oz gold coin Lunar Series II Year of the Tiger 2010.

You can read my entire blog post about this at http://agaupm.com/perth-mints-lunar-...limit-reached/

Here we can discuss a bit more about this lunar gold coins from numismatic perspective.

I see at least in Europe that this lunar gold coins - especially this current series II is very pricey and also in low supply (no wonder if all coins have mintage limit reached).

For example Lunar II 2008 Mouse 1oz gold coins is almost no where to be offered in Europe.

How's situation in USA with lunar II gold 1 oz coins?

Even at A*X current status for 1 oz gold lunar II coins is:
3x 2008 mouse
0x 2009 ox
0x 2010 tiger

Yip - 0 coins for lunar 1oz gold Ox and tiger at the moment or from 90,000 pieces of this gold lunar 1 oz made, A*X has only 3 coins of 2008 mouse.

Do I smell a good combination of investment in gold + numismatic opportunity?

Your opinions of course welcomed.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:19 AM

Could be.

But the gold tiger is fugly compared to the silver tiger, IMO. Why are the silver Lunars always more attractive?
Old 05-22-2010, 10:26 AM

Ive noticed the same thing a couple weeks ago and I am trying to put these together.

I want to see if I can find any for less than Apmex, as thats a hefty premium.

I would trade a tiger for a mouse or ox if I could find them.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:27 AM

Since future yield should be bigger in investing in physical silver then gold, there should be smart investing a bit more paper money in silver tigers then gold ones.

Due to me being in Europe, it's easier for me to sell gold 1 oz philharmonic then lunar gold coins since these are considered more as a numismatic and most of banks either don't accept lunar gold coins or give you same price as philharmonic if you decide to sell.

This is why in Europe people rather then buy silver lunar coins than gold ones.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgAuPM View Post
Unofficial news from my source (that is an official dealer for Perth Mint products), is that Australian government’s mint Perth Mint has reached mintage limit of 30,000 pieces of 1 oz gold coin Lunar Series II Year of the Tiger 2010.

You can read my entire blog post about this at http://agaupm.com/perth-mints-lunar-...limit-reached/

Here we can discuss a bit more about this lunar gold coins from numismatic perspective.

I see at least in Europe that this lunar gold coins - especially this current series II is very pricey and also in low supply (no wonder if all coins have mintage limit reached).

For example Lunar II 2008 Mouse 1oz gold coins is almost no where to be offered in Europe.

How's situation in USA with lunar II gold 1 oz coins?

Even at A*X current status for 1 oz gold lunar II coins is:
3x 2008 mouse
0x 2009 ox
0x 2010 tiger

Yip - 0 coins for lunar 1oz gold Ox and tiger at the moment or from 90,000 pieces of this gold lunar 1 oz made, A*X has only 3 coins of 2008 mouse.

Do I smell a good combination of investment in gold + numismatic opportunity?

Your opinions of course welcomed.
AgAuPM,

Thanks for this thread and your PM blog, I've got it saved to go back through later.

What do you think about the first lunar gold series? Not as valuable in the future as the second series?

TIA, CarRide
Old 05-22-2010, 01:30 PM

Wouldn't the first lunar series be worth more because it has already been minted and no more are coming out? Besides, the first series of anything will carry a little extra value simply because it is the first I would guess.

In Europe, do they consider the old Philharmonikers (denominated in schillings) worth the same as the new ones (denominated in euros)?

Peace and justice are two sides of the same coin.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Last edited by GoldBullDog : 05-22-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarRide View Post
AgAuPM,

Thanks for this thread and your PM blog, I've got it saved to go back through later.

What do you think about the first lunar gold series? Not as valuable in the future as the second series?

TIA, CarRide
Thanks for appreciating my work.

Actually my first reason for this blog was to build it only for me since I'm browsing a lot online and I'm finding many priceless information, articles, interviews, videos that I want to have in 1 place to find it quickly whenever I need them and to be able to access them no matter where I am at the moment.

But soon after writing few posts, I realized not everybody has so much time or passion for this precious metals industry and my blog could be valuable also to others already involved in this industry or potential newbie not knowing where to start.

You know - share your knowledge with others, do good things, good karma...

Regarding your question.

First lunar gold serie have higher numismatic value than current 2nd serie but problem is buying these coins - either no dealer have them or prices on E*ay are to pricey for most of the people.

And since it's a serie you want to either have all 12 gold coins of 1st serie or this is "not it" when having only let say 7 out of 12 coin of the serie.

Same is if you decide to sell them - you can sell higher if you have entire set then only 7 coins of the serie.

But problem is that selling 12 gold 1 oz lunar serie I coins would cost now around $20,000 which not many have.

Cause of such high price of an entire set, I'm much more interested in having lunar silver 1 oz serie I and II coins which I'm glad I so far have all the ever issued Perth Mint's Lunar Silver Serie I and II 1 oz coins.

If you do want to invest in lunar gold coins, I think as higher increase in numismatic value you can expect from 1/10 oz coins than 1 oz.

2 simple reasons
1st) gold 1/10 oz coins are more affordable to average investor in physical gold
2nd) I think in Australia they have Goods And Services Tax (GST) on gold bullion coins with purchasing price of over 500 AUD so 1 oz lunar gold coin are penalized by this tax and 1/10 oz coins are not (I hope I'm right about this GST).
Meaning more public buyers that usually can't even spend more then 300 AUD monthly might rather buy 2 or 3 gold 1/10 lunar gold coins then 1 oz.

Ahh, so many things to think of when choosing what physical gold and/or silver coin to buy.

Of course I might be wrong and 1 oz gold coins will increase in value much more. Who knows.

Just me thinking out loud.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBullDog View Post
Wouldn't the first lunar series be worth more because it has already been minted and no more are coming out? Besides, the first series of anything will carry a little extra value simply because it is the first I would guess.
Read above reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBullDog View Post

In Europe, do they consider the old Philharmonikers (denominated in schillings) worth the same as the new ones (denominated in euros)?
Actually I haven't seen anywhere that anybody would offer old philharmonics.
Regarding banks - they don't care the year it's stamped on philharmonics, they only care about the content.
For them 1989 or 2010 on 1 oz gold philharmonic means 1 oz of gold.

But for a numismatic person, of course he'd be willing to pay a bit extra for 1989 coin which is the first mintage year and damn, I also have 2 of them.

My avatar actually shows current design of tubes for 10x gold 1 oz philharmonics.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgAuPM View Post
Thanks for appreciating my work.

Actually my first reason for this blog was to build it only for me since I'm browsing a lot online and I'm finding many priceless information, articles, interviews, videos that I want to have in 1 place to find it quickly whenever I need them and to be able to access them no matter where I am at the moment.

But soon after writing few posts, I realized not everybody has so much time or passion for this precious metals industry and my blog could be valuable also to others already involved in this industry or potential newbie not knowing where to start.

You know - share your knowledge with others, do good things, good karma...

Regarding your question.

First lunar gold serie have higher numismatic value than current 2nd serie but problem is buying these coins - either no dealer have them or prices on E*ay are to pricey for most of the people.

And since it's a serie you want to either have all 12 gold coins of 1st serie or this is "not it" when having only let say 7 out of 12 coin of the serie.

Same is if you decide to sell them - you can sell higher if you have entire set then only 7 coins of the serie.

But problem is that selling 12 gold 1 oz lunar serie I coins would cost now around $20,000 which not many have.

Cause of such high price of an entire set, I'm much more interested in having lunar silver 1 oz serie I and II coins which I'm glad I so far have all the ever issued Perth Mint's Lunar Silver Serie I and II 1 oz coins.

If you do want to invest in lunar gold coins, I think as higher increase in numismatic value you can expect from 1/10 oz coins than 1 oz.

2 simple reasons
1st) gold 1/10 oz coins are more affordable to average investor in physical gold
2nd) I think in Australia they have Goods And Services Tax (GST) on gold bullion coins with purchasing price of over 500 AUD so 1 oz lunar gold coin are penalized by this tax and 1/10 oz coins are not (I hope I'm right about this GST).
Meaning more public buyers that usually can't even spend more then 300 AUD monthly might rather buy 2 or 3 gold 1/10 lunar gold coins then 1 oz.

Ahh, so many things to think of when choosing what physical gold and/or silver coin to buy.

Of course I might be wrong and 1 oz gold coins will increase in value much more. Who knows.

Just me thinking out loud.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:22 PM

Default Out at the typical suppliers...

Looks like APMEX and Gainesville are out of the one and two ounce Gold Tigers.
The OP noted the cap on the one ouncers; any idea on the mintage cap of the two ouncers??
I have collected the first series and found the greatest appreciation on the 2000 Dragon. Otherwise, the prices on the others tends to fluctuate.
Check out the 1998 Gold Lunar Tiger as it is one of my favorites; a bit of a premium on it at APMEX.
Always been glad I partaked of the Lunar series as the beauty is incomparable.