Home Site Map

 
Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Numismatic Discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-01-2010, 09:19 PM
1981D's Avatar
1981D 1981D is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 300
Default Gold Mexican Onza

Folks,

I have an opportunity to buy a Mexican gold 1/2 oz "onza", but am having trouble finding reliable information on them. Apparently the first Librtads had the same design, so that may be causing some confusion. From what I can glean, these are Mexico's first run at troy ounce denominated gold bullion, and they appear to be 90% gold purity. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, if you had a choice between a 1/2 gold onza and a .4823 oz gold 20 peso, which would you rather have? Are the 20 pesos more common/recognizable(I know they're alot better looking) ? I just haven't seen these onzas very much at all at the dealers or online.


or
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Spock Spock is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981D View Post
Folks,

I have an opportunity to buy a Mexican gold 1/2 oz "onza", but am having trouble finding reliable information on them. Apparently the first Librtads had the same design, so that may be causing some confusion. From what I can glean, these are Mexico's first run at troy ounce denominated gold bullion, and they appear to be 90% gold purity. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, if you had a choice between a 1/2 gold onza and a .4823 oz gold 20 peso, which would you rather have? Are the 20 pesos more common/recognizable(I know they're alot better looking) ? I just haven't seen these onzas very much at all at the dealers or online.
nevermind...
(although there is something to be said for having gold in grams... no explanation required for troy vs. androvooplaiwhatever.

Last edited by Spock : 07-02-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-01-2010, 09:40 PM
SiberD's Avatar
SiberD SiberD is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,894
Default

I have both.....all good!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-02-2010, 02:28 AM
Kir Janja's Avatar
Kir Janja Kir Janja is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981D View Post
Folks,

I have an opportunity to buy a Mexican gold 1/2 oz "onza", but am having trouble finding reliable information on them. Apparently the first Librtads had the same design, so that may be causing some confusion. From what I can glean, these are Mexico's first run at troy ounce denominated gold bullion, and they appear to be 90% gold purity. Can anyone confirm that?

<snip>

According to Krause they are:

KM# 488 1/2 ONZA (1/2 Ounce of Pure Gold) 17.2792 g., 0.9000 Gold 0.5000 oz. AGW

but only before 1991. From 1991 onward they are 0.999 pure.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-02-2010, 06:55 AM
solodeck's Avatar
solodeck solodeck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 214
Default

I would prefer the 20 Pesos first then the Libertad.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-02-2010, 06:57 AM
About AG About AG is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981D View Post
... these are Mexico's first run at troy ounce denominated gold bullion, and they appear to be 90% gold purity. Can anyone confirm that?
It's also important to note that any government-issued coin that has a weight on it has that much pure gold, so if it says 1/2 ounce and is 90% pure, it contains as much gold as a 1/2 ounce AGE that is 99.9% pure.

There are a handful of privately minted coins that I've encountered that are different (e.g. 14k gold coins marked 1/10 ounce that are .0585oz of pure gold), just to be aware.

The purity issue can be important in some circumstances (e.g. importation rules, for melting/valuing, etc.).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Legio Patria Nostra's Avatar
Legio Patria Nostra Legio Patria Nostra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,094
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by About AG View Post
It's also important to note that any government-issued coin that has a weight on it has that much pure gold, so if it says 1/2 ounce and is 90% pure, it contains as much gold as a 1/2 ounce AGE that is 99.9% pure

The purity issue can be important in some circumstances (e.g. importation rules, for melting/valuing, etc.).
O O .... Incorrect ! The American Gold Eagle is not 99.9% pure Gold
The AGE is 91.7% pure !
I feel that there is a mix-up between the Gold content( purity ) and the Actual Weight in Gold .
If on a Government issued coin is marked ...1/2 ounce ... it's the actual weight in Gold .... this does not mean that the Gold is 99.9 pure !
If that where the case there would'nt be a difference between a Maple, Krugerrand , Eagle , Buffalo , Phil .... etc ...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-02-2010, 07:46 PM
1981D's Avatar
1981D 1981D is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir Janja View Post
According to Krause they are:

KM# 488 1/2 ONZA (1/2 Ounce of Pure Gold) 17.2792 g., 0.9000 Gold 0.5000 oz. AGW

but only before 1991. From 1991 onward they are 0.999 pure.

Thanks, very helpful!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-02-2010, 08:09 PM
HighInBC HighInBC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,019
Default

I have a 20 peso, it is spectacular. Get the 50 too!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Copyright@ 2007 Kitco Inc.