Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Numismatic Discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2010, 06:06 PM

Default Eagles vs. Buffalos

Please forgive my being a new posting sort; no feather ruffling intended, I've searched for this topic to no avail, and so....sheepishly dip my toe into the foray of Kitco fora!

With regard to American Gold Eagles and American Gold Buffalos...

Both contain 1 toz. of gold; however, the former obviously has a bit more added to the mix. Now....from a monetary aspect, do you folks who have VASTLY more experience with one or the other put any additional metal content value in the Eagles vs. the Buffalos?

Specifically, do people who keep track of what they have saved away count the 1 toz. of gold AND the added trifle of silver and copper that comprises an Eagle's make-up? Or rather, is the Ag and Cu just written off in favor of the amount of gold within an Eagle's composition?

Kindest respects to those who might share their insight! Thus far, I've yet to get a straight answer on the matter so, it's to you folks that I'm looking for some perspective.

Best wishes and respects from the Bear Republic,
-msmjr2003
Old 07-07-2010, 06:14 PM

Default its so miniscule...

your question is valid, but the amount of material you are talking about is incredibly tiny..

either is recognizable in the states, my hunch is the Buffalo will retain the seller value over time (only a hunch)..

but remember, the buffalo is soft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmjr2003 View Post
Please forgive my being a new posting sort; no feather ruffling intended, I've searched for this topic to no avail, and so....sheepishly dip my toe into the foray of Kitco fora!

Both contain 1 toz. of gold; however, the former obviously has a bit more added to the mix. Now....from a monetary aspect, do you folks who have VASTLY more experience with one or the other put any additional metal content value in the Eagles vs. the Buffalos?

Specifically, do people who keep track of what they have saved away count the 1 toz. of gold AND the added trifle of silver and copper that comprises an Eagle's make-up? Or rather, is the Ag and Cu just written off in favor of the amount of gold within an Eagle's composition?

Kindest respects to those who might share their insight! Thus far, I've yet to get a straight answer on the matter so, it's to you folks that I'm looking for some perspective.

-msmjr2003
Old 07-07-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:

-msmjr2003

Buffalos for women and Eagles for men.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exchange View Post
Buffalos for women and Eagles for men.
Uh oh....
Old 07-07-2010, 06:21 PM

Many places, including Canada charge tax on alloyed gold but not on 24K gold.

You may find more buyers for the buffalo than the eagle. Also, the eagle is kinda homely looking.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:33 PM

The east likes 24k more. Buffs use to cost more. Now they are the same. Each is 1 oz Au, the same. No, the other metals do not count as part of the stack. Have both and be happy.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:36 PM

I don't have any eagles other than fracs - but I do have buffs and maples - I love the buff, but am definitely, majorly, way more in love with maples...
Old 07-07-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robear View Post
I don't have any eagles other than fracs - but I do have buffs and maples - I love the buff, but am definitely, majorly, way more in love with maples...
I like maples too, but will save my love for those coins in another thread.

I suppose that there is a small difference that is pretty inconsequential....if one wanted to get nitpicky. Probably doesn't really do a lot of number changing until one has a slew of AGEs....

1.0909 toz = weight of AGE (per Wikipedia)

1.00002803 = Au content (91.67%)
0.032727 = Ag content (3%)
0.05814497 = Cu content (5.33%)

Based on my quick math (which I don't suggest is flawless....I'm a Psych grad, not a Math grad) .......

The Ag content based on 18.01/toz would seem to be $0.5894 cents. I reckon somebody would have to invest in quite a few AGEs before the metal content distinction might be worth the effort....

So far, Mrs. msmjr2003 says to stay with the Buffalos....and this dutiful hubby gladly complies! Doesn't look to be worth much distinction...
Old 07-07-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighInBC View Post
Many places, including Canada charge tax on alloyed gold but not on 24K gold.

You may find more buyers for the buffalo than the eagle. Also, the eagle is kinda homely looking.
Yes. I do know for a fact that the Asians prefer the extra purity of the .9999 as opposed to the .999. So, in a scenerio where one were to look for the highest bidder, the extra purity *may* be a factor.
However, if you were to drop a 9999 onto a hard floor it will likely be deformed where the 999 is more resilient. That is the sole reason why the impurites are there in the blank in the first place.
But your question was answered already. A .001 impurity is so miniscule that .999 is still considered to be pure gold. In a 1-ounce coin, you are looking at less than 1/1000th of an ounce of impurities.
If I had that many Crumbs, I'd have to count them at least three tmes a day to notice if I had lost one
Old 07-07-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I like maples too, but will save my love for those coins in another thread.

I suppose that there is a small difference that is pretty inconsequential....if one wanted to get nitpicky. Probably doesn't really do a lot of number changing until one has a slew of AGEs....

1.0909 toz = weight of AGE (per Wikipedia)

1.00002803 = Au content (91.67%)
0.032727 = Ag content (3%)
0.05814497 = Cu content (5.33%)

Based on my quick math (which I don't suggest is flawless....I'm a Psych grad, not a Math grad) .......

The Ag content based on 18.01/toz would seem to be $0.5894 cents. I reckon somebody would have to invest in quite a few AGEs before the metal content distinction might be worth the effort....

So far, Mrs. msmjr2003 says to stay with the Buffalos....and this dutiful hubby gladly complies! Doesn't look to be worth much distinction...
OH! LOL!
I'm sorry! I had a brain fart and got focused on the purity of the Au and not of the coin content.
My bad