Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Numismatic Discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2010, 06:23 PM

Cartoon coins... 'just say no'
Old 10-08-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legio Patria Nostra View Post
Despite the high premium ... The Silver Panda's ... YES ! I have some of each year !
Gold Panda's .... NO ... I feel that there are to many fakes around ... some of the local dealers here will not buy them ... In fact one of them gave me a fake ( for free )
It's the Silver Pandas that are faked a lot more than the Gold ones, I have been told. Fakes exist of everything the fact that it is a Chinese coin is irrelevant; anything can and is faked.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit View Post
It's the Silver Pandas that are faked a lot more than the Gold ones, I have been told. Fakes exist of everything the fact that it is a Chinese coin is irrelevant; anything can and is faked.
I have never heard about fake Silver Panda's ...but ...that doesn't mean they are not around ...
Fact is that in this area ...the Gold Panda is a big NoNo and the Silver Panda has a market ...now as stated before I don't know if there would be a return of the premium ...since I never sold one !
To clear the air ... I'm not very big on Silver ... I'm a Goldbug ! with a second choise for platinum ...third palladium ... but still have some Silver
Old 10-08-2010, 02:14 PM

I hear about fakes a lot but seems like very few photo's around so folks could look and learn. I've heard that some of the fake coins have no demomination (10 y) imprinted into the coins and that would be one of the first visual cue's to look for. Also they tend to weigh less than the 31.1 grams. I'm still researching these Panda's and from what I see on a few sites, that they command a hefty premium, and I would be very curious to find out what wholesale prices to dealers would be. Brittania's also command a fairly high premium and I have a few of these. The basic price is set from their own Mints'. Even Maples with privy marks are getting pricey. I suppose that is why they are quazi-numi's.

Does anyone think that the market for these will go up now that the Chinese gov. has now opened up silver and encourages it peoples to buy silver now? Or is that a mute point?
Old 10-08-2010, 05:19 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legio Patria Nostra View Post
I have never heard about fake Silver Panda's ...but ...that doesn't mean they are not around ...
Fact is that in this area ...the Gold Panda is a big NoNo and the Silver Panda has a market ...now as stated before I don't know if there would be a return of the premium ...since I never sold one !
To clear the air ... I'm not very big on Silver ... I'm a Goldbug ! with a second choise for platinum ...third palladium ... but still have some Silver
Within the past six months I have seen 2 different people on craigslist selling fake 1 oz silver rounds and 1/10 ounce gold. The one guy had a quite a few of them 27 Silver panda and 16 1/10 ounce fractionals. I assume they probably got burned, and were trying to pass the buck so to speak.

Last edited by Jamesbong : 10-08-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:33 PM

James007

Quote:
35.00 to 40.00.
Tell me it's a good deal. I have no idea why somebody would sell a 65.00 coin for 35.00. I am getting a deal...right?
Have you any photo's of these? Are you talking about the selectively gold plated versions over real silver Panda?...or.

Is there an on-line source to use as a referrence for Panda's? I see only one book/catalog available, but wow..expensive, and shipping to Canada is an added $20.00...yulp! Education is definetly expensive eh?
Old 10-09-2010, 01:11 PM

Default they are called gilded pandas.

these are gold gilded 2001 2003 2005 and 2010 pandas. How can I post a pic of these? And of course as always thank you to all the Kitco stackers that know the ins and outs of everything!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panda.jpg (12.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 10-09-2010, 01:19 PM

Default 2010 gilded panda

this is the deal. Why the heck do people just dump these Pandas? Doesnt make sense to me. So give me the play by play of your thoughts Kitco members!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panda2010.jpg (58.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 10-09-2010, 02:05 PM

My best guess why people dump the Panda's ...sometimes ...
In that area would be no market ( or no longer ) mainly due to counterfeits ...
In my area for example You can buy or sell Silver Panda's , but not the Gold Panda .....
So .... they can't sell them ( not even to dealers ) so ...they dump them !

My guess !
Old 10-09-2010, 02:17 PM

James 007: thanks for posting photo's as I'm learning myself. In photo #1 ..there is no 10Y on the coin..so I would be suspicious of that one. Second photo, I'm not sure, did it come from the mint that way or did a jobber do the plating?...perhaps others can state their opinions. Sure wish I had a book on these. Certainly makes it more intersesting than your normal generic rounds. Thanks again James 007.