Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Numismatic Discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CumulousJade View Post
Our friend Digbird has many times hinted to look out for 2011 varieties but not many took heed. Anyway, on behalf of those who did take Digbird's advice (PandaCollector's advice), thanks for the good work!
Now, I am going to take a respite from the gruelling hunting!
Hi C-Jade: you are a sharp-eyed gal indeed. Both the 2010 and 2011 have varieties.
2010 has both large and small dates. They are only considered at this time, from the 2 mints verses a true variety from one mint. Demand was such that 2 different mints helped with the 2010 issue.
2010 Large Date...Shenyang Mint
2010 Small Date...Shenzhen GuoBao Mint
I have no mintage numbers from each mint as they are not officially released, but in my research, the Large Dated Shenyang Mint seems harder to find. The ratio I found is 1 to 4...meaning that for every Large date there are 4 Small dates. Should they bring more money?...well time will tell. If NGC would mark their slabs even with Mint name, we probably would arrive a some price differences, but so far they haven't done this for the 2010's.

2011 has Large Eye and Small Eye varieties and a 3rd one has come to light..a medium eye. The finish on the Panda side is different as you say. (Perhaps 3 mints are involved?) When I chatted with P. Anthony he was awaiting to see if NGC would recognize the varieties. Once again these may be from different mints and wouldn't qualify for true variety status. But still, I feel the collection is not completed till you have the different varieties.
Makav31i has a great example of the harder one to find of the 2011's.

Thanks C-Jade...I hope all is well with you. cheers

Last edited by digbird : 06-01-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:44 AM

Default 2011 Highly Frosted Bamboo = Large Eye = Specially Packaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbird View Post
Hi C-Jade: you are a sharp-eyed gal indeed. Both
2011 has Large Eye and Small Eye varieties and a 3rd one has come to light..a medium eye. The finish on the Panda side is different as you say. (Perhaps 3 mints are involved?) When I chatted with P. Anthony he was awaiting to see if NGC would recognize the varieties. Once again these may be from different mints and wouldn't qualify for true variety status. But still, I feel the collection is not completed till you have the different varieties.
Makav31i has a great example of the harder one to find of the 2011's.

Thanks C-Jade...I hope all is well with you. cheers
Well Digbird, this much I know.
1) 2011 Pandas - Only 2 mints involved - Shanghai Mint & Shenyang Mint

2) Shanghai Mint has produced slightly frosted bamboo panda thus I named them "satin bamboo background" -small eyes.

3) Shenyang Mint has produced 2 types --more frosted bamboo background --named "transition" & highly frosted bamboo background.
The HIGHLY frosted bamboo background--large eye panda.
The highly frosted bamboo / thickly frosted bamboo variety is specially packaged by Shenyang Mint (with special date stamped on the edge of the plastic packaging & a sticker bearing the full Name of the person who checked the quality) & these are hard to find. It is likely that highly frosted makeup only about or less than 10 % of the Mint population.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 AM

Default My Question

Hi everyone,
I am curious to find out
WHY did Shenyang Mint has special packaging (EMBOSSED Circles & Embossed Numbers in Date Slant Randomly & Sticker with FULL NAME printed) for the "large eyes panda with HIGHLY frosted bamboo background"?

The other 2011 panda coins that Shenyang Mint (denoted by blue bar-like-code) produced has the same PLAIN tray & PLAIN plastic packaging as Shanghai Mint (red words with ball point initials)
Regards
Old 06-01-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Hi everyone,
I am curious to find out
WHY did Shenyang Mint has special packaging (EMBOSSED Circles & Embossed Numbers in Date Slant Randomly & Sticker with FULL NAME printed) for the "large eyes panda with HIGHLY frosted bamboo background"?

The other 2011 panda coins that Shenyang Mint (denoted by blue bar-like-code) produced has the same PLAIN tray & PLAIN plastic packaging as Shanghai Mint (red words with ball point initials)
Regards
I've come across many different wrappers from the earlier pandas, I put it down to upgrades in packaging equipment. i am guessing here but with the ramp up of production numbers is it possible that a new production line has been opened at the mint to increase output? This would most likely have newer equipment for packaging, hence the differences?

Wave upon wave of demented avenger marched cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Hold on Tight to your 2011 Frosted Bamboo Panda. This coin variety is not easily found and could prove to be valuable one day.
This 1 oz was minted as the small replica of the 2011 5 oz proof Panda.
The other variety " small eye" has satin bamboo background --visibly different from the 5oz proof version (which has a thickly frosted matte bamboo background).
Happy Hunting
Regards
Wow I didn't realize that I got a good deal...Thanks for the info...I was looking at other 2011 panda on the bay and I can say that there are date variety as well and my coin being a small date...Guys please post all your panda and we can see for sure the different variety...
Old 06-01-2011, 10:42 AM

This is my Panda with small date.

The large date is from the auction side that I found...

Old 06-01-2011, 10:58 AM

If that a reflection under the baby pandas eye ball ?

Quote:
Hold on Tight to your 2011 Frosted Bamboo Panda. This coin variety is not easily found and could prove to be valuable one day.
This 1 oz was minted as the small replica of the 2011 5 oz proof Panda.
The other variety " small eye" has satin bamboo background --visibly different from the 5oz proof version (which has a thickly frosted matte bamboo background).
Happy Hunting
Regards
Old 06-01-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
If that a reflection under the baby pandas eye ball ?
What reflection? It is the big eye variety on the baby panda with small date on the back...
Old 06-01-2011, 11:19 AM

For those keeping records and I think Digbird is; I have a price report for you.
Looking through my collection the other day, I discovered that somehow I had overlooked acquiring a 1999 last year so the search commenced last week.

After passing on a 1999 LD with serif (1) due to milk spots I ended up bidding on a very nice large date 1999 (no serif) last night and had to pay $330 to win the auction.

And FWIW< while searching, I saw a MS 69 slabbed 1994 with bid already exceeding $750 with time to go.
EDIT : for the record, the 1994 was a PF69 with a winning bid of $921.54

Last edited by jogslvr : 06-01-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:29 AM

Default Large eyes = White Frosted Eyelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by makav31i View Post
What reflection? It is the big eye variety on the baby panda with small date on the back...

Yes, there is reflection under the baby panda's eye lid.
Large eyes are differentiated from small eyes by the colour of upper & lower eyelid.
Upper & Lower Eyelids which are coloured white => makes eyes look large => Large eyes
Eyelids which are coloured shiny black => make eyes look small => Small Eyes