Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Numismatic Discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungsn View Post
They weren't able to remove the spots or to make them less visible. On a separate note, I know the spots were not there when I bought them. I kept my coins in a plastic container with silica gel. I thought that should keep spots from appearing. Is this not true?
Unlike Dig, I am very surprise they could not remove the spots. I have sent in coins with a lot worse than that and they came back completely spotless. Even the worse milk spots and all the other spots they were able to remove and the very worse one you could see the damaged cause by the spot under a 30x loupe. Did you make sure to note on your submission form that you wanted ALL the spots removed?

I'm not sure anyone really knows why the WSOD occur like they do on Chinese coins. Dig has one explanation. I've also heard from it is the dirty air that gets trapped in the capsule with the coins to the soap they use to wash the blanks. But anyway, plastic (w PVC) and silver don't mix well. You may not get the WSODs, but you will definitely get some toning after a while when silver is stored with PVC.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madduxxx View Post
Unlike Dig, I am very surprise they could not remove the spots. I have sent in coins with a lot worse than that and they came back completely spotless. Even the worse milk spots and all the other spots they were able to remove and the very worse one you could see the damaged cause by the spot under a 30x loupe. Did you make sure to note on your submission form that you wanted ALL the spots removed?

I'm not sure anyone really knows why the WSOD occur like they do on Chinese coins. Dig has one explanation. I've also heard from it is the dirty air that gets trapped in the capsule with the coins to the soap they use to wash the blanks. But anyway, plastic (w PVC) and silver don't mix well. You may not get the WSODs, but you will definitely get some toning after a while when silver is stored with PVC.
I think I made a mistake on the submission form. I specified to conserve no matter what. I didnot specify removing spot no matter what. Is there a difference?

Also, just want to clarify that the plastic container that I use is the food-grade container which shouldn't have PVC. Maybe I should put them in ziploc bag instead?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:49 PM

Merlin, you'll have to share some pictures of these...with the grading labels that state the difference. Haven't seen one yet on the 2004 and newer coins.

I hope they do that for you. If so, that is great news. I talked to Peter Anthony quite awhile ago on this very same subject, he responded that he was talking to NGC about this, but wasn't too sure that they would do this large date/small date labelling for these newer issued Pandas.

For those that are interested, the large dates are the harder ones to find for 2010 and 2011. I won't stick my neck out on the 2004 to 2009's as I didn't research those years.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbird View Post
For those that are interested, the large dates are the harder ones to find for 2010 and 2011. I won't stick my neck out on the 2004 to 2009's as I didn't research those years.
I am still learning how to spot a Large/Small date for the newer years. The older ones seem just so much easier to nail down.. going through the pictures of some of the newer ones and I just can't quite see it yet.

Maybe it is easier in person?
Old 11-18-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sejanus View Post
I am still learning how to spot a Large/Small date for the newer years. The older ones seem just so much easier to nail down.. going through the pictures of some of the newer ones and I just can't quite see it yet.

Maybe it is easier in person?
aaaahhh...but there is a secret. Took me a long time to see the obvious.

Look for the bottom of the date on the Temple side and it should hit the rim or very close to it. That's the easiest way. Now..here is the problem. Some times sellers use the wrong photo or generic photo. When I asked them about the date size and location...they often questioned me as to extra worth as they had no idea there were both large and small dates.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbird View Post
aaaahhh...but there is a secret. Took me a long time to see the obvious.

Look for the bottom of the date on the Temple side and it should hit the rim or very close to it. That's the easiest way. Now..here is the problem. Some times sellers use the wrong photo or generic photo. When I asked them about the date size and location...they often questioned me as to extra worth as they had no idea there were both large and small dates.
Yeah that is the biggest problem I have seen so far.. LOTS of stock photos.. even for some of the big time/trustworthy sellers. Good tip about date location.. should help a bit in the search.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:32 PM

Default Since Tuesday nothing has been listed that I consider a good deal.....

Slim pickens folks! Can find a deal just to track! I swear it was like the last 30 days were such a gift! People were selling thinking the coin dream is done!

Now you know for a fact! The Chinese coin market is still going strong!
I was like so many these last 30 days. Trying to pay off debt! Now that I am half way to paying my debt off. And all the deals have vanished!

Please writeback if you are seeing the same.
james
Old 11-18-2011, 09:16 PM

James,

It can only be so long before the deals stop because of informed people snatching them all up!

I am not really watching any Pandas right now though so you might be right. Keeping my eyes open though!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:35 PM

Default It was great while it lasted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sejanus View Post
James,

It can only be so long before the deals stop because of informed people snatching them all up!

I am not really watching any Pandas right now though so you might be right. Keeping my eyes open though!
Really horrible for me as I watched mostly everything go by and only got a few coins.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James007 View Post
Really horrible for me as I watched mostly everything go by and only got a few coins.
Just have to be patient.. it'll come back.

That is of course if the good times are truly done.. sometimes the real deals aren't just in the Buy it Now sections. Two or three of my good deals with on the old fashioned auctions where people clearly were not paying attention to what was posted. More of a gamble though...