Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Numismatic Discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madduxxx View Post
Also, IMHO I would stay away from PCGS for any of your Chinese coins. The gold coins do have a problem with red spotting so you want the most airtite slab you can get (NGC), PCGS is also backing away from grading many Chinese issues, NGC has the BEST guarantee behind their graded Chinese coins and NGC is trying to capture the Chinese market while PCGS is backing away. (PCGS seems to have lots more trouble telling a fake Chinese coin from a real one.) ALSO, FYI, NCS will conserve your gold coins and I also recommend it. The gold looks absolutely beautiful once they conserve it and could possibly lead to higher grades.

Save PCGS for Western coins you plan on selling in the Western market.
I am going to echo the recommendation for NGC over PCGS. While I am still new in the buying field I have yet to see a coin 'go bad' inside a sealed NGC holder while I just had to return a Silver Panda that was in a PCGS holder that was BADLY infected with WSODs and one spot on this coin even had a tint of other colour too it. Whether it was graded that way or it turned while in the slab.. it has steered me away from PCGS based on that coin alone.

Also Madduxxx thanks for the info on the book. I may pick up a copy of it after all.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sejanus View Post
I am going to echo the recommendation for NGC over PCGS. While I am still new in the buying field I have yet to see a coin 'go bad' inside a sealed NGC holder while I just had to return a Silver Panda that was in a PCGS holder that was BADLY infected with WSODs and one spot on this coin even had a tint of other colour too it. Whether it was graded that way or it turned while in the slab.. it has steered me away from PCGS based on that coin alone.
No problem on the info... Who knows, the book itself might even turn out to be a good investment...

One other NGC comment that is purely opinion based... I look at the coins as little works of art. If I am going to frame my work of art, I want the nicest, prettiest frame out there. To me a coin just looks better in a NGC holder and it make a nicer frame around my little artwork.

To me a PCGS slab looks cheap and like something I can buy in bulk at the wholesale club... But that is just my 2 cents!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madduxxx View Post
One other NGC comment that is purely opinion based... I look at the coins as little works of art. If I am going to frame my work of art, I want the nicest, prettiest frame out there. To me a coin just looks better in a NGC holder and it make a nicer frame around my little artwork.

To me a PCGS slab looks cheap and like something I can buy in bulk at the wholesale club... But that is just my 2 cents!
When I got my PCGS holder (before I noticed the WSOD) I was amazed at how they basically block out the rim of the coin so you can't view it. Now I know the old NGC holders did the same thing but I REALLY like how the new NGC holders have the edge view so you can see the whole coin.

In short I agree with everything you have to say on NGC vs. PCGS.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:14 AM

Interestingly, I came across this today and it goes with our NGC vs PCGS discussion:

"PCGS Announces Unlimited Guarantee for All World Coins
Don Willis - November 21, 2011
Here is some great news for World coin collectors! Effective immediately, all World (non-U.S.) coins, including all Chinese coins, submitted through a PCGS Secure Plus service, will be fully covered under the PCGS grading guarantee, regardless of their value. This unlimited guarantee applies to any World coin (including Chinese) that is in a Secure Plus holder. Modern World coins dated 1955 to date and valued under $1,000 can be submitted through the Standard service. All other World coins must be submitted through Secure Plus. You can, however, submit Modern World coins under the Secure Plus service if you like.

Now you can have 100% confidence when buying or selling any PCGS Secure Plus U.S. or World coin!"

http://www.pcgs.com/Articles/Detail/...z ine11222011

Interesting change. Good for collectors b/c it helps with grading options. Wonder if PCGS is rethinking their stance on the Chinese coins?
Old 11-23-2011, 02:22 PM

That's a huge move for PCGS. Maybe they woke up to the fact they were losing out to NGC on the Chinese coin market. However, doesn't change my view, and my preference of the NGC grading and holder.

Somewhere I saw a coin that had WSOD and graded in a NGC holder and it had the comment "stained" on the label. Wasn't a "Details" type grading comment. I think it graded ms68, but not 100% certain about the grade. I wish I had of saved that photo now as I've never seen another one since.

Just saw a 1998 1/20th. gold piece end at $1,137.00...yikes. So even the rare 1/20ths. are fetching a healthy price. Wish I had a dozen.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbird View Post
That's a huge move for PCGS. Maybe they woke up to the fact they were losing out to NGC on the Chinese coin market. However, doesn't change my view, and my preference of the NGC grading and holder.

Somewhere I saw a coin that had WSOD and graded in a NGC holder and it had the comment "stained" on the label. Wasn't a "Details" type grading comment. I think it graded ms68, but not 100% certain about the grade. I wish I had of saved that photo now as I've never seen another one since.

Just saw a 1998 1/20th. gold piece end at $1,137.00...yikes. So even the rare 1/20ths. are fetching a healthy price. Wish I had a dozen.
i see Mr Xu just listed and immediately sold the 2000 1/20 mirror gold panda for $4190...that is totally out of my league for a 1/20 coin...
Old 11-24-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makav31i View Post
i see Mr Xu just listed and immediately sold the 2000 1/20 mirror gold panda for $4190...that is totally out of my league for a 1/20 coin...
Hi Makav31i: you have sharp eyes..lol. I missed that listing but not surprised that it sold so fast. They are rare.

These little fellow's (1/20ths) are getting very popular. Most are cheap and when getting near a completed set, collectors are forking out big coin to finish their sets.

Also a few are trying to built a 5 coin set of all gold mirrors.

cheers
Old 11-24-2011, 11:25 AM

Clearly I need to start keeping my eyes out for 1/20s as well.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinsword View Post
of the rsod

Red Spots on au
What do you guys think of the red spots/copper spots on Gold Panda? Does it affect the value of the Panda just like the white spot on Silver? Can red spot be removed by NCS?
Old 11-25-2011, 01:32 AM

I just saw a 2001 NGC MS 69 go for 110 on auction tonight. There are some crazy deals out there if you can find them, and they aren't always on the BIN front!