Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Numismatic Discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 08:54 AM

Just FYI: I have read reports of white spots on 5 oz silver 30th Anniversary Pandas. It may not be wise to buy these sight unseen.

Clickable Link

Last edited by trozau : 04-21-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trozau View Post
Just FYI: I have read reports of white spots on 5 oz silver 30th Anniversary Pandas. It may not be wise to buy these sight unseen.

Clickable Link
Could get ugly for the folks that contracted for them. Depends how many I suppose, but they aren't cheap either. Perhaps NCS could help them out with coin clean up, spot removal, but then it isn't in OMP condition which is important to many collectors. I understand the die broke after 225 of the 5 oz'ers were struck, causing a slight variety between the older 1st. struck coins and the newer ones. Hmmm interesting. Hard for folks like me to hand pick the items, as we live a far distance from these major coins shows etc. Most is done over the phone or internet.

Any news on the 1oz. silvers Mr.T? I haven't heard of any.

Last edited by digbird : 04-21-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbird View Post
Could get ugly for the folks that contracted for them. Depends how many I suppose, but they aren't cheap either. Perhaps NCS could help them out with coin clean up, spot removal, but then it isn't in OMP condition which is important to many collectors. I understand the die broke after 225 of the 5 oz'ers were struck, causing a slight variety between the older 1st. struck coins and the newer ones. Hmmm interesting. Hard for folks like me to hand pick the items, as we live a far distance from these major coins shows etc. Most is done over the phone or internet.

Any news on the 1oz. silvers Mr.T? I haven't heard of any.
I believe there's some confusion here between the 30th anniversary 5oz panda and the Singapore coin show 5oz panda MEDAL which has mintage of only 2,500.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petean88 View Post
I believe there's some confusion here between the 30th anniversary 5oz panda and the Singapore coin show 5oz panda MEDAL which has mintage of only 2,500.
Hello Petean88. Was it the Singapore die that broke? If so, thanks for the correction and setting the record straight...
Old 04-21-2012, 03:24 PM

I ordered and received 1oz silver and 1/2 oz gold Singapore medals and was surprised that the pouches were cut open on one side of both of the coins. I preordered these from American distributor. I expected pristine merchandise and am disappointed. Anyone else have similar experience?
Old 04-21-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afluke View Post
I ordered and received 1oz silver and 1/2 oz gold Singapore medals and was surprised that the pouches were cut open on one side of both of the coins. I preordered these from American distributor. I expected pristine merchandise and am disappointed. Anyone else have similar experience?
Wow Aflute...I don't like the sounds of that, especially if you collect OMP's, which are usually sealed. These aren't chump change..they're very expensive.

If me, I'd be phoning them...talk to Peter or Will.

Hopefully others will chime in...best of luck on that and let us know how you make out if you contact them. cheers
Old 04-21-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbird View Post
Wow Aflute...I don't like the sounds of that, especially if you collect OMP's, which are usually sealed. These aren't chump change..they're very expensive.

If me, I'd be phoning them...talk to Peter or Will.

Hopefully others will chime in...best of luck on that and let us know how you make out if you contact them. cheers
Yeah digbird. I will give them a call. I have always had great service by these guys and I expect they will help me figure it out. The coins look fine but I think they lose some of their value when the pouch is open. I know there is some debate about keeping the coins in the original plastic but that is the way I have always done it. Why do you think they would be cut open?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petean88 View Post
My bad! It is the Singapore show 5 oz silver with white spots, NOT the 30th Anniversary. Sorry about the misinformation.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah digbird. I will give them a call. I have always had great service by these guys and I expect they will help me figure it out. The coins look fine but I think they lose some of their value when the pouch is open. I know there is some debate about keeping the coins in the original plastic but that is the way I have always done it. Why do you think they would be cut open?
Maybe they were checking them out for PF 70 grade contenders and sell off those that don't pass their check.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Yes by all means, give them a call. Not sure why they would want to cut them open, perhaps like Mr.T suggested...but I can't wrap my noggin around that. Not customer friendly that's for sure. Good luck and let us know the result. cheers