Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Numismatic Discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM

I called and was told I could send the coins with open pouches back for replacement with intact pouches. Customer service at its finest .
Old 04-23-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afluke View Post
I called and was told I could send the coins with open pouches back for replacement with intact pouches. Customer service at its finest .
Well that is good news Aflute. They have good service from what I hear. Hope they cover your shipping costs as well. That wasn't cricket sending open pouches as far as I'm concerned. I like happy endings.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afluke View Post
Yeah digbird. I will give them a call. I have always had great service by these guys and I expect they will help me figure it out. The coins look fine but I think they lose some of their value when the pouch is open. I know there is some debate about keeping the coins in the original plastic but that is the way I have always done it. Why do you think they would be cut open?
Afluke: I was reading that many pouches were sealed on three sides only and came that way from the mint for some odd reason. A strange story indeed.

I hope someone has an explanation for this mess.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:41 PM

Default Sorry guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbird View Post
Afluke: I was reading that many pouches were sealed on three sides only and came that way from the mint for some odd reason. A strange story indeed.

My sealer wasn't working good that day. Sheesh!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbird View Post

Check out the recent discussion on the China Coin Forum

There are some people that are really up in arms on both sides of this issue!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:05 AM

Didn't the Pandas, in the pouches, some in sheets so individual coins had to be cut from the sheet along the seam between the pouches? I have some gold panda coins, with the pouches still intact and connected, kinda like a sheet of stamps.When I purchased these, on the counter the LCS clerk pulled out some scissors and started to cut each pouch to separate it from the strip but I told him no way...stop that!. Over the years I'd received one or two Pandas with a one side of the pouch open, I just figured it was cut from the sheet but cutting in the wrong place along the seam.

BTW, last night I finally completed my silver 1 oz Panda collection...primarily BU but a few proofs thrown in to complete the date series. Sure glad to get this off my chest...looking for those last few I was like a man possessed. Now back to our regularly scheduled hoarding...
"You're all too busy sticking your noses into every corner, poking around for things to complain about, aren't you? Well, let me tell you something-this is exactly how Nazi Germany started! A lot of layabouts with nothing better to do than to cause trouble " -Basil Fawlty

Last edited by Unsustainable : 04-27-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:35 AM

Over the years I've had a pouch cut into a bit by wreckless cutting, but never one whole seam cut open, or one side completely exposed. Lucky I guess. Nothing wosre that a bull with a pair of scissors in his mittens. I did have one seam on a 1/20th. gold piece dry out and crack open, but that was over a long period of time.

Congrats Unsustainable, remarkable feat indeed.

Was reading over there as well Afluke. Yes, folks have a right to be upset if they arrived that way. Like I said before..."what a mess" this has turned out to be. 1st. I personally don't think they were looking for high grades, that is way to many coins to handle. 2nd. Why cause some integrity problems? I think they just got caught with a bad shipment from the mint that made them and failed to melt the seam. Lots of bugs in the ointment or should I say oinkment to iron out.

Some coins I like in OMP like these, but others I like graded like the older expo's.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:17 AM

While on the topic of pouches, I would like to see all Pandas and other coins revert back to pouches with capsules. Especially gold, I would like to see them come with a capsule and pouche combined, a little extra protection. Doubt it will happen.

Only the gold "P" proofs came with both. I call them double baggers... Of course silver Pandas had them up to and including the year 2005.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 AM

General question: Did Pandacoincollector recently published a "grey sheet" (price list) for all or most Pandas, both BU raw and graded? If so, can it be published here?

I saw one on another forum and wondered if its on the up and up? The price for the 10Y 1995 blew me away.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogslvr View Post
General question: Did Pandacoincollector recently published a "grey sheet" (price list) for all or most Pandas, both BU raw and graded? If so, can it be published here?

I saw one on another forum and wondered if its on the up and up? The price for the 10Y 1995 blew me away.
Good day to you sir: Yes he did. Called the Panda Pricepedia and is a paid for subscription. I don't want to violate the copyright and hard work and skill that has gone into this huge effort on his part. That's why I won't publish it here publically. Only parts and pieces when folks are seeking some info on specific coins, values or populations.

Not only that, it's a huge PDF file, to much too swallow on a form such as this. For $69.00 a year, is a very reasonable cost to track Pandas, Lunars and a few other Chinese coins. It comes via email once a month. I know I would be upset after going to all that work, and then have someone publish online. Not cricket in my ethical way of thinking. cheers