Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Numismatic Discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2010, 01:44 PM

Default Proof coins worth it?

What is most desirable, proof or graded coins?

Last edited by Maximus4427 : 11-11-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:13 PM

I think it is very subjective...what do you mean by proof vs graded? Proof coins can also be graded as the non-proof coins...proof coins definitely look better than non-proof...Buy those graded by either PCGS or NGC,the highest grade that you can afford...but it all depends on the coins like comparing a proof silver eagle and a graded MS-69 silver eagle,then I must say that the proof coin ungraded is better...but that is just my opinion...
Old 11-11-2010, 02:27 PM

I would say ... None ...
Proof coins are loosing their premium-value because of the high spot-price ...currently the going price for a $5 proof is only $3 more than for the bullion .
Graded coins ... If it's not a numismatic coin ( pre-1933 ) it's not worth it ! These day's all BU can be considered grade 69 so to have something yo would need a grading of 70 . And even then ....it gives only a certain value ... to collectors ... and even the collectors are switching towards 70 Early Release ....black labels ( no idea what these are ) ...etc
IMO ...stay with regular BU ..... only look for graded coins in the section pre-1933
Old 11-11-2010, 03:50 PM

Talking I am buying proofs becuase of the low premiums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legio Patria Nostra View Post
I would say ... None ...
Proof coins are loosing their premium-value because of the high spot-price ...currently the going price for a $5 proof is only $3 more than for the bullion .
I agree that the premiums have dropped considerably and that is why I am buying proofs. When silver was trading in the $10 range, I bought generic rounds and as the price has increased, I changed my mix to proofs and other low mintage items. I am doing this to protect myself if we move back down. The premiums will go back up and I will preserve more of my money. If silver keeps moving up, I will make less, but I am willing to buy a little insurance on the downside. I am also a coin collector, so getting to collect and stack at the same time is a bonus.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackemHigh View Post
I agree that the premiums have dropped considerably and that is why I am buying proofs. When silver was trading in the $10 range, I bought generic rounds and as the price has increased, I changed my mix to proofs and other low mintage items. I am doing this to protect myself if we move back down. The premiums will go back up and I will preserve more of my money. If silver keeps moving up, I will make less, but I am willing to buy a little insurance on the downside. I am also a coin collector, so getting to collect and stack at the same time is a bonus.
As a collector that makes sence ...Hell even as a stacker the view as being insurrance makes sence .
I have a few proof's that I bought at max $10 over bullion price ... I feel that I'm going to look at them differently now .
As for taking ( buying ) on the downside ... I allways bought sets .... up until today only one of them turned out to be a big profit .... 2008 W Buffalo ... sold 1 , keeping the other .
What's your view on the 2001 Silver Buffalo set ? or the 2006 , 20th annv set of the American Eagle ?
Old 11-11-2010, 04:33 PM

Read a book on PMs and coin collecting that contained a lengthy interview with one of the founders of NGC a few years ago. The book author asked if you should buy PF-70's or MS-70's for investing, and the NGC guy said neither. He recommended MS-69's, then made a pretty convincing argument about minimum value above spot for a coin that's perfect to all but the most intense scrutiny. He said that would provide the most return for your investment in either intrinsic or numismatic value. Plus, during periods of high counterfeiting, slabbing would decrease the chance of fraud thus increasing your liquidity. I thought it was a sound argument, and that's what I've been doing

Sorry, I'm traveling and can't remember the book title or the name of the interviewee - I can provide when I get home if you really want to know.

-Sun Tzu
Old 11-11-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackemHigh View Post
+1... Well said.

-Sun Tzu
Old 11-11-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSum View Post
Read a book on PMs and coin collecting that contained a lengthy interview with one of the founders of NGC a few years ago. The book author asked if you should buy PF-70's or MS-70's for investing, and the NGC guy said neither. He recommended MS-69's, then made a pretty convincing argument about minimum value above spot for a coin that's perfect to all but the most intense scrutiny. He said that would provide the most return for your investment in either intrinsic or numismatic value. Plus, during periods of high counterfeiting, slabbing would decrease the chance of fraud thus increasing your liquidity. I thought it was a sound argument, and that's what I've been doing

Sorry, I'm traveling and can't remember the book title or the name of the interviewee - I can provide when I get home if you really want to know.
Of course these guy's are going to say ...69 is a better grade to buy .
What did you think ..... 87 % of their graded coins get 69 .... if he would say buy only 70 ..he would be shooting himself in the foot !
No sound argument there ...just a good sales-man speaking ...
As said before ... if you buy a BU from the mint and you send it for grading ...95% sure it will come back as a 69 ..... 5% as a 70
Old 11-12-2010, 02:38 AM

Default I am with you on buying sets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legio Patria Nostra View Post
As a collector that makes sence ...Hell even as a stacker the view as being insurrance makes sence .
I have a few proof's that I bought at max $10 over bullion price ... I feel that I'm going to look at them differently now .
As for taking ( buying ) on the downside ... I allways bought sets .... up until today only one of them turned out to be a big profit .... 2008 W Buffalo ... sold 1 , keeping the other .
What's your view on the 2001 Silver Buffalo set ? or the 2006 , 20th annv set of the American Eagle ?
I have found that sets have traditionaly been a better investment. Collectors have a built in need to complete sets. The only US coins that I have are a complete set of are American Eagle Proofs, so I can't comment on the ones you mentioned. For the most part, I collect Australian and Mexican coins. They keep me very busy and have also done very well as an investment. I sold many of my doubles and covered the most of the cost of my collection.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:02 AM

Default picked up 2 libertad proofs.....

5oz. and two oz. traditionally I believe 1.75 to 2X the amount of the of the vlaue plus spot. per oz. for the Silver Eagle. So I believe the one oz. proofs are way under valued.That's my hoky formula for proof value.