Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > General Stock Market Investing discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiello1986 View Post
Can/ are forex trades posted here or just equities? Figure I could post some of my swing forex trades to those who are interested in learning.

Thanks
Yes you are more than welcome to posts your trades here.

Thanks for contributing to the forum
Old 02-17-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynot2k View Post
Yes you are more than welcome to posts your trades here.

Thanks for contributing to the forum
Ok, sounds good. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:37 PM

stopped out on copper, loss of $2,275

"We said simply that we were too old to trade silver, preferring to leave this enormously volatile metal to those younger and/or more courageous than we. We abhor volatility. It is our bane, and silver defines volatility. Thus, we do not trade it and have not and will not." -Dennis Gartman
Old 02-18-2012, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanferr View Post

That must be hard to hit a stop, and not letting her ride. You must of put a big stake into that one. How do you invest in copper? Sorry to hear of the loss, I commend your honesty.

I lost $2400 hundred recently on {hvu}to. a 200% leveraged s and p vix bear. I bought at $13.40, hit low of day, and it keep going down 36%, I held and held and heard all the crap talk about cotango. And sold on a up day, didn't even double down near year low at $8.70ish. Damn thing went up 10% for a day or two after I sold. Damn worst trade of investing so far, for ever I hope, but somehow I kinda doubt it. How does a guy even stop this out as overnight it makes big changes. Sell daily and babysit/stop it daily I guess.

I bought 2x as much as I bought last time yesterday 13k, it's already down $500, which is about 4% which is peanuts for this etf, the market has to fall off a cliff soon S and P over 1360 now Dow almost 13 000. Bad news at apple bla bla bla. I see more upside than down I am in at $10.88ish this time the 1 year low is $8.68 and high of $65. Maybe I'll get a 5 bagger, if I can sit on my hands long enough, which will be hard. You would think I learnt my lesson first time, but I like the speculation and excitement. And doom and gloom, I guess. I might have to 2x down at anywhere in $8's. Little worried about an election year but, I see one crash within a few months, as the market will have time to recover before elections.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:05 AM

Leveraged etfs aren't recommended for holding overnight for that reason, they are really a day trading instrument. The 200% figure only works over one day and the long term tracking is likely to be less than this

Take a look at the 5 year chart on this leveraged nat gas etf to see what a prolonged downtrend can do to one of these

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?client=ob&q=LON:LNGA

Last edited by DaveUK : 02-18-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:19 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiello1986 View Post
Can/ are forex trades posted here or just equities? Figure I could post some of my swing forex trades to those who are interested in learning.

Thanks
The more the merrier. Why not look at Mondo's thread in the Gold forum as well, loads of good stuff there.

M_S
Old 02-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
A lot of people avoid the markets on options redemption day. It usually starts the day before options redemption. Why people avoid it? Because they don't know what the money makers have up their sleeves those two days.

I will admit also I got my hand caught in the cookie jar in an equities trade on Friday. I can't even follow the advice I give out. LOL. It was just to tempting so I had to jump in. Now I will try and get out of my mess in before hours on Tuesday. I will sell high so somebody can get a good start to a short position. I have cut my losses numerous times by this method. Most people panic and sell right away for market value.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUK View Post
Leveraged etfs aren't recommended for holding overnight for that reason, they are really a day trading instrument. The 200% figure only works over one day and the long term tracking is likely to be less than this

Take a look at the 5 year chart on this leveraged nat gas etf to see what a prolonged downtrend can do to one of these

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?client=ob&q=LON:LNGA
The nat gas ETF's in general are just garbage.

Put in orders to buy MCD, KO, WM, and BAC tomorrow. Also I screwed up my X trade and ended up losing a couple hundred bucks, but came out of it with a good lesson. Should have sold at least half my holdings as it approached the 200 DMA. Instead I held hoping it would break through the resistance, but alas, it didnt.

Also keeping my eye on INFY and LLL.

LLL looks like it is consolidating nicely. Will go long if it breaks the 200DMA.

Have a limit order in to buy INFY in the gap, just need it to pull back:

Shaw continues to do well, I like them a lot. COSI is like a freaking cash register - up 55% on the month. Glad to be in that one. The AUD/JPY spread has also been quite profitable. May add to that position if the opportunity presents itself.

"We said simply that we were too old to trade silver, preferring to leave this enormously volatile metal to those younger and/or more courageous than we. We abhor volatility. It is our bane, and silver defines volatility. Thus, we do not trade it and have not and will not." -Dennis Gartman

Last edited by Ryanferr : 02-19-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadilac View Post
That must be hard to hit a stop, and not letting her ride. You must of put a big stake into that one. How do you invest in copper? Sorry to hear of the loss, I commend your honesty.

I lost $2400 hundred recently on {hvu}to. a 200% leveraged s and p vix bear. I bought at $13.40, hit low of day, and it keep going down 36%, I held and held and heard all the crap talk about cotango. And sold on a up day, didn't even double down near year low at $8.70ish. Damn thing went up 10% for a day or two after I sold. Damn worst trade of investing so far, for ever I hope, but somehow I kinda doubt it. How does a guy even stop this out as overnight it makes big changes. Sell daily and babysit/stop it daily I guess.

I bought 2x as much as I bought last time yesterday 13k, it's already down $500, which is about 4% which is peanuts for this etf, the market has to fall off a cliff soon S and P over 1360 now Dow almost 13 000. Bad news at apple bla bla bla. I see more upside than down I am in at $10.88ish this time the 1 year low is $8.68 and high of $65. Maybe I'll get a 5 bagger, if I can sit on my hands long enough, which will be hard. You would think I learnt my lesson first time, but I like the speculation and excitement. And doom and gloom, I guess. I might have to 2x down at anywhere in $8's. Little worried about an election year but, I see one crash within a few months, as the market will have time to recover before elections.
Futures. But again, this is all in my practice account. Still have a lot to learn. Copper was a loss, but I still consider it to have been a "good" trade. Price broke out, I hopped in, but the break out proved to be a fake out. Ill give up the 2k because I know eventually the breakout will be real and I will make 10k+ on a single trade to make up for a handful of 2k losses.

Last edited by Ryanferr : 02-19-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
The nat gas ETF's in general are just garbage.

Put in orders to buy MCD, KO, WM, and BAC tomorrow. Also I screwed up my X trade and ended up losing a couple hundred bucks, but came out of it with a good lesson. Should have sold at least half my holdings as it approached the 200 DMA. Instead I held hoping it would break through the resistance, but alas, it didnt.

Also keeping my eye on INFY and LLL.

LLL looks like it is consolidating nicely. Will go long if it breaks the 200DMA.

Have a limit order in to buy INFY in the gap, just need it to pull back:

Shaw continues to do well, I like them a lot. COSI is like a freaking cash register - up 55% on the month. Glad to be in that one. The AUD/JPY spread has also been quite profitable. May add to that position if the opportunity presents itself.
On president's day? I am having ticker withdrawls, lol, do you trade a lot of equities on Presidents day?
Historicly the day after Presidents day you take short positions. Just sayin.

Last edited by Givemegold : 02-19-2012 at 09:43 PM.