Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > General Stock Market Investing discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 05:47 PM

Default new to stocks, young investor here

Hello guys, been anxiously waiting a week to make my first post.

Im 20 years old, and have always had a knack for the stock market. Currently i have my portfolio consisted of about 6 Mining stock that i am watching (for fun) and deciding later in the future to invest in. (few months down the road).

My question is to you guys, what should i prepare or educate myself in? i literally know nothing about stock markets, and basically follow price changes.

how does one find new companies to invest? do i just search up something that interests me like (mining, plastics) in the google finance section?

I need all the help i can get, i know a bit and learning alot from reading here and watching videos. So far i have just made a basic fun portfolio to monitor stocks.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:01 PM

Did you just say you want to invest in stocks?

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

"Radio has no future. Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible. X-rays will prove to be a hoax." -- William Thomson, Lord Kelvin, British scientist, 1899
Old 02-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Banned

Welcome to the forum Isess. I think it's great you're starting at twenty. I'm not an investor, but rather a trader and for the last eighteen years, a day trader. When I was a position a position trader, I did pretty well watching good stocks that were down and approaching their 50 day moving average (50MA). Many times they will bouce off their 50MA and climb back up. That is but one technique. There is lots of good stuff on the web, and some not so good. Paper trade lots of different techniques and see what gets good results for you.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miteysquirrel View Post
Did you just say you want to invest in stocks?
my mistake.....i meant i want to be a trader/invest.

my plan is this to have a decent stock portfolio with a few long term "blue chip" stocks in some good business sectors, and the rest i would like to become a daily/weekly trader. Thats my goal so far.

thanks theplantguy, i have watched your main thread quite closely about what stocks or trades you make during the day, any tips for someone whose first time around? i mean the internet has TONS of info, so far ive only found a few good videos on youtube, and read maybe 2 good sites.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Banned

I would paper trade for a year before commiting any money to the market. It's like a flight simulator. You don't get hurt if you land 10 feet below the runway.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:30 PM

Started investing in stocks 15 years ago but when I sold a business in 2000 I really jumped in with both feet.

I will save you the sob story.

Stocks are abnormally high right now. They are being propped up in order to give the general impression to average folks that things are fine, to go out shopping and get that new Ipad.... in short they want us all to keep consuming... and thats fine for everyone who isnt already in debt. But most people are in debt and getting deeper.

My advice would be to stay clear of all stocks that are not commodities... stay as debt free as you possibly can....and start stacking a little bit on every price dip.

Good luck young man and welcome to the forums.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

"Radio has no future. Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible. X-rays will prove to be a hoax." -- William Thomson, Lord Kelvin, British scientist, 1899
Old 02-17-2011, 06:37 PM

thanks guys, so far got some really good feedback. I talked with a few people, and alot of them are saying to take a look into mining, silver, gold, natural resources (timber, wood) and the occasional ride of a hip trend, Other than that, im basically just analyzing alot of commoditity stocks. Im taking a look at the technology sector but have always shyed away from trading with that kind of stuff.

Are most people on here day-traders? or it just varies on what one wants to try to achieve?
Old 02-17-2011, 06:37 PM

Hello there Plantguy! Could you recommend any websites that are useful to those trying to learn technical analysis? Would you recommend subscribing to a charting charting website such as Stockcharts.com? In the past you've recommended I read The Battle for Investment Survival by Gerald M. Loeb, which I will be ordering as soon as I get through the books I'm currently reading.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castillb2010 View Post
Hello there Plantguy! Could you recommend any websites that are useful to those trying to learn technical analysis? Would you recommend subscribing to a charting charting website such as Stockcharts.com? In the past you've recommended I read The Battle for Investment Survival by Gerald M. Loeb, which I will be ordering as soon as I get through the books I'm currently reading.
I don't have any TA websites book marked. You might Google "stock chart patterns" and "stock technical analysis" and "fundamental analysis". As a trader, fundamental analysis isn't important, but for an investor, much more so.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 PM

giving a look at some stuff planet guy talked about. Any other tips or direction for someone starting into this?

edit* just installed the paper trading application called "Think or Swim". Just noticed there being bought up by TD Bank.

Last edited by Isess : 02-17-2011 at 09:06 PM.