Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Silver discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2011, 03:18 AM

Default New to the Forum

Hello fellow Stackers, new to the forum, but not new to stacking. I've been lurking here for awhile and have enjoyed reading many of the Postings here. I accidently started stacking in 1994 when I bought my first Metal Detector. I am an avid Detectorist, and have found hundreds of Silver Coins over the years. I remember being disgusted with the price of Silver when it was $5.00 an oz, I'm not disgusted anymore, as I still have most all of the coins I have ever found. I also stack rounds and bars, but mostly ASE's. I'm actually starting to see all the hoarding of 90% junk coins have an effect on the Numismatic values of what had previously been marginally common coins. I think this is a nice side effect of us Stackers taking so much 90% "junk" off the market, especially as more and more people are getting into collecting U.S. Coins.................Did anybody else see this today? http://www.coinweek.com/news/feature...-and-attitude/
Old 04-12-2011, 10:16 AM

Welcome!

I suspect that if anything, it is all of the tons of bags of quality coins that were melted in the 80's that might possibly be impacting the collector realm, rather than the hoarding of worn 90% coins.

The numbers of 90% silver coins that are reported to have been produced in the 1900's mean nothing today because of all of the badly worn and damaged coins that were turned back into the Treasury Dept. to be melted and used to make new coins, and all of the melting that took place in the '60's and again in the '80's. Nobody knows how many of those coins exist today.

Last edited by calmbreeze : 04-12-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:57 AM

Hi! This is an article about The Great Melts that I've posted before that you may find interesting that addresses some of the quantity of US 90% that went into the pot.

A short quote from a player during the Melts . . .

"When silver hit $50 an ounce, I would say that 98 percent of the silver coins in existence were committed to smelting houses," he confided. "If the price had been maintained, most everything would have been lost."

It boggles the mind to think of how many bags of BU US 90% webt into the smelters and even though, granted, the pops for US coins were huge, I think there are far less pre-1965 coins out there then people imagine.

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article496.chtml
Old 04-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Welcome Dirt,
I'd be interested to know what you've found, just "classic silver" or older coins? Do you have certain sites you search? Or are you a Beachcomber?
Once in a while you will stumble upon the truth, but most of us manage to pick ourselves up and hurry along as if nothing had happened. - Winston Churchill

Old 04-12-2011, 12:46 PM

Welcome Dirt,
I'm sure you're on the friendly metal detector forum as well. I'm a detectorist to and is great for getting silver for free. You'll learn alot here!

Hello my name is Mr. Trout, meet my associates, Mr. Brown, Mr. Duece and Mr. Bater. We're in the paper and magazine business! Grab your banannas folks it's about to go nuts around here!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:07 PM

Welcome! But please do remember to add a few 0's at the end of any reports you make here of your recent PM acquisitions! It's a board thing.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:02 PM

Hay.. hey... very cool to have another unsuspecting newby to play with..
You ARE unsuspecting aren't you?
(I heard there are blabbers that tell secrets in PM's)
Baseless Rumour... pass it on...

My ol'guy bought himself a metal detector.
So far he only wants to take it to sunny beaches in the sumertime.
Not too many coins but he has found a few navel rings, wa... wa... weeeoowwwr.... wow yow.. yeuow.
Unfortunately, So far they have always been attached to some hot Babe at the time
But that doesn't stop him from lookin'... oh no, he's no shirker...he likes to look...a LOT.
Every once in a while I catch him squinting at other parts...Surveying the landscape as it were..
He calls it 'analyzing the TOPography'.... I used to get suspicious?
He just shakes his head at my suspicion..."Nipple rings'...he is checking for loose nipple rings.
I had never heard ladies on the beach referred to as that before but what do I know?
I've thought of getting one myself (a detector, not the nipple ring) and going with him?
But all I've heard of women finding on beaches are bobbing bottles, wooded recliners and rusty screws.
I got one of those at home already...

Ok.. tag team...somebody else give him a hard time...
Welcome BTW (Big Tarted Woman)
My ol'guy says that's not what it is supposed to mean but it sure is in my case...
...and I'm linguistically ambidextrous....AKA Kinky

He is now holding his head in his hands with smoke coming from his ears... my work is done...
Old 04-12-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgGregator View Post
Welcome Dirt,
I'd be interested to know what you've found, just "classic silver" or older coins? Do you have certain sites you search? Or are you a Beachcomber?
Oldest Silver is a 1853 Silver 3 Cent, oldest U.S. Coin is a 1805 Large Cent. Oldest coin is a Roman Silver 10 Denarius Lucretious Trio dating to 136 B.C..............Still can't figure that one out, found it in a Park in Wooster MA. I manily hunt yards and old Parks. I have a Minelab E-Trac, arguably the best thing out there for deep turf, certainly the most expensive at $1600. I have found some rare coins.... 1909-S Indian Cent, 1897-O Barber Dime.....etc, but also hunt Civil War Relics, and my most valuable find was a Confederate Staff Officer's Button with a London Backmark. Found a bag of Jewelry in 1997 buried along a Riverbank in WA State. It had 9 Silver Rings, 8 Gold Rings, 2 Gold Pendants, a large Gold Bracelet, and a Gold Plated Watch............don't mean to get off topic here, this is a Silver Discussion Group, but metal detecting is what got me interested in PM's to begin with.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:32 PM

I bet that bag of jewelry is the one that D B Cooper stole from me before he jumped out of that plane.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaM View Post

My ol'guy bought himself a metal detector.
So far he only wants to take it to sunny beaches in the sumertime.
Not too many coins but he has found a few navel rings, wa... wa... weeeoowwwr.... wow yow.. yeuow.
Unfortunately, So far they have always been attached to some hot Babe at the time
LMAO! Beautiful essay. I am an MD myself and certainly share "ol guys" preference for sunny summertime beaches!